Digital Storm intros new Special Ops gaming machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Digital Storm has taken the covers off its new "affordable" Special Ops gaming PC series, which appears to be comprised of 10 uniquely named base systems ranging in price from $987 to $2,429. By default, the vast majority use Intel Core processors (some are P55-based while others use the X58 platform), but two are available with a quad or hexa-core AMD Phenom II CPU.

Five of the computers are listed with Nvidia GPUs, and five with ATI – but the advertised base systems are more along the lines of recommendations than individual machines with rigid hardware limitations. For instance, you can select the $1,397 "Maelstrom" PC (which is simply the name of the system's chassis) and customize the hardware to match the $2,429 Hailstorm desktop.

As for being more affordable, the Special Ops series is definitely easier on the wallet than the company's Black Ops line, which starts at well over $2,000. Despite the lower prices, Digital Storm says its Special Ops range has the same build quality as Black Ops PCs. To celebrate the launch of its new line, the company is offering a complimentary overclocking between 3.3GHz and 3.9GHz.

Permalink to story.

I'd really be curious to know what the market is for these custom-built machines. Obviously, someone is buying them, but I've personally never met anyone who has. These uber gaming rigs fall into the hobbyist category and everyone I know who wants something like this builds their own (and at a significant cost reduction).

Same, everyone i know, including me builds my own, with a HUGE decrease in money spent compared to one of these.

Does anyone else think that case looks like HAF 932

digital storm rocks. they might not be the best choice in each case but they test their computers, give you a three year warranty, and can promote some excellent closeout specials. sure i priced a build and would have saved some money but after reading reviews on newegg and other places, the possibility of extreme mental angiush is there(send me a tested computer with a nice warranty is an attractive option). after talking with DS on the phone, i don't think they're going to "cheese" me on a part failure. if they do, i'll be on the forums speaking negatively, instead of with praise. i've put my computer through the extreme test for over a year now with countless installs, re-installs, power outages(florida), gaming and about a million restarts. an i7 for $1100 and two years to go on my warranty. it wasn't a bad option back then and i would buy the same computer today. i'm not against saving money though and it seems extensive research is always in order when it comes to these oh so lovable computer buying choices that need to be made.

meant to say buying decisions not choices that need to be made-whatever but along those lines thank goodness for sites like techspot and techpowrup(sry if you don't like those guys haha), thanks for the hard to decipher image verifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back