Disabled display adapter now get "Check signal" on boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

leb7285

Hi--I'm trying to install a Dominator FX 5500 AGP video card. Used to have a Rage 3D IIC PCI. I disabled the display adapter when I should have uninstalled the driver. Now I get a "Check Signal" message on boot when either card is plugged in. How can I get back to where I was before?? I can't get into BIOS. I never get that far. Please help me, good people! Thank you!!

The PCI card is already plugged back in. And I get "Check Signal" with both cards. Any other thoughts?

remove one of them . and then make sure the plug is in all the way or the card is in its slot properly ...

Only the PCI card is in the machine now. It is seated correctly and the plug is in all the way. Does the "Check Signal" message mean that the machine doesn't think there is even a video card in the slot?

Yes check signal means the PC doesn't think there's a video card or that the video card is faulty. Remove and install your RAM, sometimes it can become loose when installing a video card. Without the RAM noway for video signal from CPU to arrive at the video card. Install the new card and hopefully windows will find and install the drivers. From there update drivers from the Nvidia website.

Hi... make sure also to test your Monitor in other system to see if the "CHECK SIGNAL" message isnt a bad Vidcard... but a bad MONITOR CABLE-TO-VIDCARD.

Well, here's the latest. I reset CMOS and got back to being able to use old video card. Now I'm wondering if what the Video card tech support guy told me is right, that we have a bad card because I got the "Check Signal" message after installing the new card and plugging it in, then rebooting. It looks so easy in the directions to put in the new card. But then, it doesn't address how to go from PCI to AGP. I think it assumes you are swapping AGP for AGP. Do I need to change BIOS or Display Adapter in Device Manager before I put the new card in?

Thanks so much for any help.

So I started a new topic called: "Swapping PCI vid card to AGP and get Check Signal message. Why?" now that the PCI vid card works again, in the hopes that I'd get additional feedback. Don't want to have two threads going at once. TIA

Always just keep it to one thread, this way others can follow the topic and learn the procedure in the future without the confusion.

Procedure: With the old PCI in and running, reboot and enter your BIOS menu. Now I'm not sure what your BIOS menu would look like, but you want to look for AGP/PCI Display or VHS Display something like that. Look for PCI/AGP, set this to AGP. Turn off Fast Writes. Set your aperature to 128. Save and exit BIOS. Turn-off PC. Install the new card. All should be good. Allow windows to find and install a default driver. Then install the latest nVidia 81.98 drivers.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back