TechSpot

Disappearing USB HDD Volume and Letter

By fosbergroad
Dec 3, 2009
  1. Hello World:

Last week life was fine. My eight year old Windows XP PC was limping alone OK with the C: Drive (32 GB HDD FAT32) and my G: Drive (IOMEGA 149GB USB). I say limping alone as a year or so back my CD-ROM Drives (D: & E:) had died for reasons I can't remember. So, missing my CD-ROM drives I started working on the issue. Nothing simple such as a driver re-install, BIOS reset, or system recovery solved the problem and after much searching I down loaded a registry script to reset my drives. After a reboot, the CD-ROM Drives resurfaced! Case Solved with one glich; my G: drive no longer was visible in My Computer. Must of been something I did to fix the other problem.

So now the 'Disk 1/ FAT32 Partition' DOES show in Disk Management just below my C: HDD. Yet, I am unable assign a letter to the drive (option not available). The drive is listed as 'DISK 1' yet it does not have a VOLUME number.

I am assuming that I have some contention happening between my CD-ROM drives and my IOMEGA drive previously know as G: drive.

My wife has about 50 GB of family photo's on this drive so I am praying that I will not need to reformat.

Any suggest here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Bob

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Guide: Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize USB Hard Drive / Fix Unassigned Drive Letter

Also if you have Norton GoBack installed > uninstall it
    And if you manually mapped any drives, disconnect them
    • To disconnect a mapped drive:
      1. Click Start, and then click Run.
      2. In the Open box, type cmd.
      3. Type net use x: /delete, where x: is the drive letter of the shared resource.

• Disconnect from a mapped network drive
      1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
      2. Right-click the icon for the mapped drive.
      3. Click Disconnect.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.