[Discussion] Wow havent been here in a while. need your opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdanielxx

Hey most of you may know me as xxdanielxx I use to be one of the helpers here removing viruses,

Anyways now a days I run a computer shop. Which is doing good thanks to god :) so what I wanted to know is I see so many people getting robbed for virus removal service. I was thinking of offering this for free or for a donation of $25 as this is not such a big deal to clean or repair.

What do my fellow malware removal experts think of this as you know as well as I do how long it takes to clean a infected computer? Also turnaround time would be 24 hours sometimes longer

Thanks in advance.

www.unitedtechsco.com

Do not take this as spam as it is a free service I'd like to offer. For people in my area

Hello :)

I have no comment regarding your business and how you deal with it, but I definitely have an opinion about malware removal not being "such a big deal".

Surely, every case is different.
In some cases, using couple of tools will clear the situation, but more and more often it won't.
Over time, malware creators get more and more sophisticated.
Some years ago, it was all about running HijackThis, removing some entries and the computer was good to go.
These days, HJT does nothing and we don't even use it in this forum any more.

These days, you have to constantly stay up to date, as malware writers don't stay put.

These days, you have to know what tool use and when, as it's quite easy to make computer not bootable, if a wrong tool is used.

If you go through topics in this forum, you'll see that some topic are short and they're solved within 1 page of postings, but some go through several pages.

You also have to remember, that a whole cleaning process have to be always completed.
Often, the computer will appear to be OK, only to get reinfected again, if not all remnants are cleaned.

Believe me, it's not easy.
Doing, what I've been doing, I have to always remember, that I'm dealing with someone's property and someone's important data, so I can't take things lightly.

Good luck with your business :)

Hey yes understandably all cases of infections are different and of course you have to be upto date on the new tools and how to properly use them as well as being upto date on removal procedures and the likes of that as we do not want to damage a clients computer.

But due to the fact that we get a lot of computers from people who have had there computer worked on by amateurs who just run programs and say it's cleaned we think it's better to offer this at a cheaper rate not to make money or anything like that but to avoid having customers get duped out of money ad places charge $60-$120 & my good judgment doesn't see this right. So we offer them a reduced rate of $50 in some cases we due get computers where the "tech" decided to run there so called magic app (combofix) lol and suddenly it's not working anymore. :(

I'd rather save them the hassle of this you know. Anyways thanks for the comment :)

Also didn't mean it was easy as cake as some infections can take time to clean.

Also I due see tht my sig is out of date with tools lol. Haven't been here in a good while. :)

You know, it's never a bad idea to discuss a subject like this one :)

Talking about free market, I'd say that considering today's computer prices any charge for malware removal under $100 would be a pretty fair price.
Whatever the case is, it'll take you at least couple of hours to clean some infection and other garbage.

What is outrages to me are prices from places like Geek Squad, where they'd easily charge you over $200 for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back