Do all my parts fit together? How much power do I need?

AwesomeTech

Well the title states the questions:

Do all my parts fit together? How much Watts do I need?

Do all my parts fit together?

- CPU: Intel Core i7 950
- Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium
- RAM: Kingston 6GB DDR3 (1333MHz, CL9, DIMM, 3x 2GB)
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 *OR* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
- Optical Drive: LG CH10LS20
- Hard Drive: *Don't know yet. Will have: 7200RPM; S-ATA II/ S-ATA III (Preferably: S-ATA III)*
- Case: Cooler Master HAF922
- Power Supply: *SEE SECOND QUESTION*
- Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I chose the 64-Bit version of Windows 7, because the 32-Bit version of it can only handle a maximum of 3GB of Ram, and I want at least 4 and a maximum of 6, since I think more than 6 is just getting greedy and I don't need it for this computer.

I am not 100% sure if these are exactly the parts as I'll take them, but probably nothing will change (unless it doesn't fit together)

How much Watts do I need?

I am not sure yet, which Power Supply Unit I will need, so please help me with that. Also, if you told me how much Watts I will need, it would be very kind if you could actually give me examples or choose one for me. Already giving me tips on good Company Names for PSUs would be nice.

READ: If I forgot anything please tell me! Also, please tell me if this computer is good the way it is, and if it is able to let me play some good games on high settings.
Also, please tell me what Hard Drive is good and how much minimum capacity is recommended.

Kind regards and hoping for soon replies,
AwesomeTech

If you followed the motherboards hardware specs closely, your listed hardware will work. I'm running an i5 with 8GB DDR3 with a Corsair 650 Watt supply

Looks good to me. What sort of monitor are you going to be using? If you're gaming at 1920x1080, the GTX 580 is a waste. An HD 6870 or a GTX 470 would give you great performance at that resolution.

As for a PSU, a quality 700-750W PSU should be sufficient. I recommend the KingWin LZG-700 and the NZXT HALE90-750-M. Also, the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mark II 750W is a great one, in case the other two are too expensive.

OK so really sorry, but I am going to change the setup quite a bit...
So here is the new one:

- CPU: Intel Core i5 760
- Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E
- RAM: 2x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G (Is that the same as 1x Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G)
- GPU: HD 6870 (And I will get a second one with a larger display)
- Optical Drive: LG CH10LS20
- Hard Drive: Western Digital WD5001AALS Caviar Black 500GB Internal Hard Drive
- Case: Cooler Master HAF922
- Power Supply: HX750W
- Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Hope that clears up things a bit =D
Please answer the question about the RAM. here it is again:
Is the Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G the same as 2x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G?

It's better to have two sticks of RAM running in dual-channel, so don't worry, getting two 2GB sticks is definitely better than a single 4GB stick.

Also, grab the 1TB Caviar Black instead; the cost per GB is lower, and there's nothing like too much of a good thing, unless you're going overbudget because of it.

Lastly, I'd still recommend the KingWin 750W unit over the Corsair, purely because of its higher efficiency and better price. However, if you're looking for a dual-card setup in the future, play it safe and grab an 800W-ish PSU instead. The 850W model of the KingWin PSU is again my recommendation, for its top-notch specs and great price-point.

I think you'd be better finding out your complete budget, and then letting us know what you don't need, e.g. keyboard/mouse/monitor etc.

Then you can have the best system for your budget recommended. For whatever reason you've now changed your list countless times - Some of them relating to the money your parents were willing to spend.

Set a budget with them, then you can finalise your system, and get the best possible help as there are many variables when building a complete system.

In the meantime I would recommend you read the TechSpot PC Buying Guide.

There are other parts and consumables that will also need purchasing along with the hardware, so until a budget is set in stone it'll keep increasing and or changing.

Back