Do I have a bad motherboard?

By abowers22
Jul 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am trying to build a computer. I bought all new parts for this. After connecting everything, and I'm sure everything's connected right, the light on the motherboard comes on, but when I press the on/off switch on the front of the case, the fans try to turn on both the power supply and the motherboard. They only turn for about 2 seconds and that's it. Nothing else happens. I'm wondering if something was wrong with this board when I received it. Please help!
  2. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Obi-Wan Jerkobi TechSpot Maniac Posts: 592

Reinstall the motherboard and this time take a look to make sure the motherboard isn't making any contact with case metal or the back I/O plate. If possible, it might be worth it to try another power supply out and see if that works. If those don't work, try reinstalling the CPU and RAM, maybe you didn't line the pins up correctly or not enough contacts are touching.
  3. savythirsty

savythirsty Newcomer, in training

try turning the system on without any Ram memory inside, if it beeps your mobo is ok if not you got a problem, also try a different power supply, try reseating the spaghetti cable and the 12 v
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

I've had brand new CPU fan do this too (often)
    Try unplugging the fan and turning on (just for a moment to test it)
  5. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

CPU heatsink - did you apply paste/take off the protective tab?
  6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

new heatsink are already pasted
    But I agree with you about the protective tab; I've done that before :(
  7. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

Aftermarket heatsinks ARE NOT already pasted (at least mine wasn't).

But, you just carry on!

:)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.