Do they make dial-up modems/routers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleventeen

Hello,

I have a dialup internet connection, with very little possibility that DSL or Cable will be available any time soon. About 3 months ago, I bought a laptop which came with a wireless card and a wireless router. I decided to share the internet connection between my desktop and laptop, so I could have more freedom roaming around the house with the laptop instead of sitting in the uncomfy chair with the squeeky seat for however many hours (not that the chair is the problem.. I'm just babbling as usual..:eek:). Anyway, It worked very nicely, but every time I wanted to use the laptop's wireless internet, I would have to go to my desktop and connect it to the internet which can get annoying sometimes.

Basically I was just wondering if anyone makes an external dialup modem which could possibly have an RJ-45 port on it to connect to the back of my wireless router. Then I could use the modem to connect to the internet (so instead of having my desktop always on, the modem would just have to be connected). Then I could just use the laptop without fiddling with my desktop's connection. If you could find any modems or maybe even routers with the modem built in could you please tell me where to get one. Thanks.

Yes. You may want to look at Apple Airports as a solution. I'm not familiar with any other routers that provide dial up though.

I don't think router in gen support rj11
thats the dialup plug
just leave the main machine on
hope your wireless is protected

yes, but they're old school. You'll need a serial or parallel port depending on the modem.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've decided I'll just do what I've been doing for now, as I need to save up some money (gettin a car pretty soon). I did look at a couple of those modems that some of you told me about, and they look like they can get the job done, just they're a bit expensive. If I run into a situation that for some reason I need to make a wireless dialup network, I'll know what to do :grinthumb . Thank you for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back