Does a high quality game (Crysis) shorten the life of a GPU?

georgek7

I am about to install an ATI HD 5770 in my computer, and I am thinking about getting some games. I hear a lot of talk about games like Crysis heavily taxing graphics cards and what not.

If I play games like Crysis all the time (with as high settings as my card can handle), will that significantly change the lifespan or alter the card's performance at all?

If I said yes, would you limit your game playing to Solotaire and Minesweeper ?

These cards are built for gaming.
So long as you have adequate chassis cooling and clean power delivery the card should not be significantly affected by intensive gaming. All cards fail eventually but normal gaming conditions should not significantly impact on it's lifespan, at least not until it has endured a few years of use.

DBZ is right, the cards are built for gaming. Otherwise why are you even buying a GPU? You'll likely have to replace your card long before it dies in order to keep up with the latest games. And as long as you don't plan on stressing your system 100% 24/7 I doubt it'll give out before its outdated.

If I play games like Crysis all the time (with as high settings as my card can handle), will that significantly change the lifespan or alter the card's performance at all?
Actually your card will work at 100% on any 3D app, you'll just get high framerate unless you limit it, which is pointless imo.

Its just like folding or anything else that runs your CPU at 100%. Sure it shortens the life because its running at a high temperature, and heat shortens the life of electronics. But in reality any card that doesn't have an inherent defect will last much longer than 98% of PC users will use them for.

Also bear in mind that if you buy a more expensive card, you are likely getting a warranty along with it. My xfx 5850 is warrantied for life, and I don't expect that I will ever have to cash that in since in a year or two it will be getting replaced anyway. But still, when you buy a name brand - the company usually stands behind the product.

Just do like these other guys have said and make sure you have a good case and power supply, and you will be golden.

Back