Dos boot my computer out a window

Hey there, Mildly tech savvy Metrologist stuck trying to reformat my laptop.

I don't know the specifics of my motherboard, or any other hardware i have in my laptop for that matter, yea its one of those guys. But i do know that i am trying to wipe XP off of my laptop and play around with other OS capabilities. Here is where i run into a problem.
I originally tried erasing it through Linux (it being my C: drive), hell just accessing it through Linux, but to no avail. The next step was to download and create a dos boot CD. That worked, but Murphy is an *** and it seems that i can only see the drive that the boot disk is on, so my CD. I am assuming my hard drive is a format DOS can not read which leaves me stuck wondering how i go about the task of brutally murdering my windows software.

Thank you for your time and patience
Paintertexas

Be sure you are booting to the CD, almost any CD with an operating system on it, or a format program.

Once you reach that CD, you should find you can remove the partition or format the partition, unless your optical drive has gone bad.

Or go on line and search for one of the free partition managers to remove the partition,

Then use your operating system Cd to create a new partition, then format the partition.

Back