Downgrading from Vista to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkstuarez

I have a laptop(Acer Aspire 3680) that can barely run Vista, and I'm wanting to put XP on it. Problem is, I've already installed and done so much stuff on it, that it'd be a pain to do all over again.

Can I do a back up and keep all the programs installed so I don't have to start fresh? Sorry if this is a common question, I'm really bad at searching.

First try a few performance tweaks -

disable unnecessary services,

remove unnecessary start up items (ALL except firewall/AV).See HERE

Run CCleaner,do anti spyware scans.Add memory if you can.

The only other option is too back up all personal data,then dual boot. See HERE

or replace Vista with XP.You can`t transfer programs from Vista to XP.

Yeah, like Po girl said they is no way of downgrading for Vista to XP. Can you please post your system specs here? and did your Acer Aspire come with vista installed or did you upgrade to it from XP?
cheers
Hynesy

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer...85211/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It came with Vista on it.

When browsing through shared folders and network computers Explorer can slow down when it is searching the local network for printers. This sounds like a great feature and may be useful for some but I would rather disable it to get maximum performance when browsing through folders.How to do it…..

* Hit Alt to bring up the menubar if it is not already on the screen.
* Click on Tools and select Folder Options.
* On the View Tab, uncheck Automatically search for network printers.
:confused:

Just looking at your specs, everything looks fine except for the intel celeron processor which isn't really designed for Vista since it came before Vista. Anyway jsut back up your files and programs and anything else you need, then you will have to reformat.

Bought XP can't install over VIsta

I get a message that the installation (XP) is blocked because the program on this computer is newer than the XP software. Duh.
My toshiba satellite laptop came with VIsta. I installed Adobe acrobat but it won't work on this computer. When I need to pdf, I go back to an older computer with xp.
So I ordered XP from a place online. Vista won't let me install it.
what can I do?
L2

That is because you cannot install XP on a partition containing Vista, you either need to create a new partition for XP or reformat the current Vista installation.

Why bother doing it IMO? Windows 7 will be here in a few months, and will offer a marked improvement over both XP and Vista.

If Vista lags, then just turn off Aero and disable the visual effects from Control Panel->System->Advanced->Performance->Settings->Visual Effects, & select "Adjust for best performance". Also, make sure you use a good AV with a small footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back