Download of the Week: IrfanView + IrfanView PlugIns

Jos

Staff

IrfanView is a compact, fast and friendly viewer with support for a large number of media formats. Among its features are support for batch processing, creation of panorama images, editing of multi-page TIFF files, lossless JPEG rotation, obtaining icons from EXE or DLL files, screen captures, format conversion, and a laundry list of other options. What's more, the program's functionality can be further extended via plug-ins that available from the developer itself.

The interface may look a bit uninspiring but few other programs offer the functionality and extendibility that IrfanView provides. Its image editing powers are limited to some basic touchup, though, so don't expect a Photoshop replacement. It contains simple Erase, Draw, Fill, Clone, Rotate, and Color Picker commands which are more than adequate for quick edits or highlighting stuff in screenshots. The tiny 1.3MB installer even includes a separate IrfanView Thumbnails utility that offers an Explorer-like file tree on the left pane that quickly displays all images in a particular folder upon selecting it.

If you've never used it before and are looking for a compact image viewer, be sure to give this one a shot. IrfanView is a free download for Windows -- it comes bundled with Google Toolbar for your browser but you can uncheck that option during the installation process.

Permalink to story.

"Irfan View" is supposed to have a very good algorithm for the "resampling"** of images.

** Resampling is changing the pixel dimensions of an image. For example, an image as wallpaper, say 1680 X 1050 would need to be resampled to become 1920 X 1200, the next resolution up. This is similar to "upconverting" in a DVD player. The program in both cases, is supplying its "best guess" as to what pixel information to fill in the blanks with, so to speak.

Almost anything is better as a photo editor but Irfan has been my default image viewer for years because it's simple, fast, light on resources and works with just about every file type.

I use Irfanview for resizing and cropping images, and also for batch conversions of images
The simplistic editing is sufficient when you want to highlight something in a screenshot for me...
The exif viewer plugin is nice too, but the Opera webbrowser has one aswell

But for image viewing I use Acdsee v2.43
It's about 10 years old but nothing beats it at the rendering speed and quick startup (Note; later versions of Acdsee are bloated...)

Been using this nice software since like 10 years and it's great to see apps like this and imgburn that keep being simple and doing the job perfectly without going the path of the bloat.

Back