Download of the Week: IrfanView + IrfanView PlugIns

By Jos
Sep 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. IrfanView is a compact, fast and friendly viewer with support for a large number of media formats. Among its features are support for batch processing, creation of panorama images, editing of multi-page TIFF files, lossless JPEG rotation, obtaining icons from EXE or DLL files, screen captures, format conversion, and a laundry list of other options. What's more, the program's functionality can be further extended via plug-ins that available from the developer itself.

Read the whole story
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,393   +828

"Irfan View" is supposed to have a very good algorithm for the "resampling"** of images.

** Resampling is changing the pixel dimensions of an image. For example, an image as wallpaper, say 1680 X 1050 would need to be resampled to become 1920 X 1200, the next resolution up. This is similar to "upconverting" in a DVD player. The program in both cases, is supplying its "best guess" as to what pixel information to fill in the blanks with, so to speak.
  3. blackcat77

blackcat77 Newcomer, in training Posts: 18

Almost anything is better as a photo editor but Irfan has been my default image viewer for years because it's simple, fast, light on resources and works with just about every file type.
  4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

I use Irfanview for resizing and cropping images, and also for batch conversions of images
    The simplistic editing is sufficient when you want to highlight something in a screenshot for me...
    The exif viewer plugin is nice too, but the Opera webbrowser has one aswell

But for image viewing I use Acdsee v2.43
    It's about 10 years old but nothing beats it at the rendering speed and quick startup (Note; later versions of Acdsee are bloated...)
  5. jgvmx

jgvmx Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

Been using this nice software since like 10 years and it's great to see apps like this and imgburn that keep being simple and doing the job perfectly without going the path of the bloat.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.