Download of the Week: Microsoft Flight

By Jos
Feb 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As promised, Microsoft has made their latest flight simulator game available to the masses as a free download today. The announcement came a few hours in advance of their Windows…

Read the whole story
  2. Raswan

Raswan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 279

Wow. Those specs are crazy. I better feel the salt spray on my face.
  3. Those specs will become laptops low end computers in a two or five years.
  4. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,042   +62 Staff Member

My bad, those were the recommended system specs. I've updated the post with both minimum and recommended specs.
  5. The specs in the article are the recomended ones. Here's the Minimum specs:

Dual Core 2 GHz
    256 MB Graphics card capible of shader 3.0 (DX 9.0c compliant)
    10 GB HD space
    Win XP SP3 or better
    2 GB RAM
  6. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

MS should release this for the iOS platform with a price between ($9-$19) and sell upgrades as in-app purchases. It would fly into top 10 grossing apps.
  7. Since when a GeForce 9800 is as powerful as a RadeonHD 5670? o_O
  8. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 893   +98

Oh look this requires yet ANOTHER client to play the game... Not the most convenient multi step process but it is now downloading at a less than stellar 200-300 KB/s. As for the system requirements, even the recommended requirements aren't that high, if you can't afford a $100 graphic card you might as well stick to flash games. I'll fire it up and report back once finished downloading, maybe today.
  9. Qrox

Qrox TechSpot Member

Haha. When I saw the specs nothing seemed off. Then I see your comment and did the math. Somewhere there had to be a mistake. 9800 isn't even close to each other.
  10. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 535   +12

Yeah, this game sucks. They ruined the franchise IMO.
  11. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

If you like flight simulators, my suggestion is to bypass this (even though it's free) and go with "Rise of Flight." Hella fun simulator/game with considerably better graphics and options than MS Flight Simulator.

12. Morgawr

Morgawr Newcomer, in training Posts: 18

Actually the 9800 GT has about the same if not more performance the the HD 5670. It just doesn't support direct X11.... and it's also a lot more power hungry.
  13. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 893   +98

Disappoint. All that I can say, granted it is Free, but this isn't exactly my type of game. I put a couple pictures up if anyone is interested, this is how the game looks maxed out.
  14. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

I played the beta, it was pretty enjoyable.
  15. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Can i play it with my magic stick? Flying is boring. Mount guns on the planes, M$!
  16. indiangamer

indiangamer Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

if it will help me BF3 jets then i will download it........
  17. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Intel i7 980 extreme, 6 core processor, HT enabled 12 Vertual cores.
    24 gig ram. Triple Channel.
    Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm 300 gig HD, with 200 gig free space..
    2 x GTX-560-Ti video cards.

And it says my Microprocessor in not compatable... say what...
    Loaded it anyways and played it on maximum settings...
    works good no glitches...
    fun game...

:)
  18. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

can you fly with a mouse? or does it require a joystick. i mean is it playable with a keyboard/mouse?

19. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

Horrible game in my opinion. M$ has turned this into an arcade game, rather than a flight sim.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.