TechSpot

Download of the Week: Microsoft Flight

By Jos
Feb 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As promised, Microsoft has made their latest flight simulator game available to the masses as a free download today. The announcement came a few hours in advance of their Windows…

Read the whole story

2. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 279

Wow. Those specs are crazy. I better feel the salt spray on my face.

3. Those specs will become laptops low end computers in a two or five years.

4. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,532   +82

My bad, those were the recommended system specs. I've updated the post with both minimum and recommended specs.

5. The specs in the article are the recomended ones. Here's the Minimum specs:

Dual Core 2 GHz
    256 MB Graphics card capible of shader 3.0 (DX 9.0c compliant)
    10 GB HD space
    Win XP SP3 or better
    2 GB RAM

6. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

MS should release this for the iOS platform with a price between ($9-$19) and sell upgrades as in-app purchases. It would fly into top 10 grossing apps.

7. Since when a GeForce 9800 is as powerful as a RadeonHD 5670? o_O

8. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,537   +445

Oh look this requires yet ANOTHER client to play the game... Not the most convenient multi step process but it is now downloading at a less than stellar 200-300 KB/s. As for the system requirements, even the recommended requirements aren't that high, if you can't afford a $100 graphic card you might as well stick to flash games. I'll fire it up and report back once finished downloading, maybe today.

9. Qrox

Qrox TS Enthusiast Posts: 38   +9

Haha. When I saw the specs nothing seemed off. Then I see your comment and did the math. Somewhere there had to be a mistake. 9800 isn't even close to each other.

10. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 516   +12

Yeah, this game sucks. They ruined the franchise IMO.

11. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,528   +567

If you like flight simulators, my suggestion is to bypass this (even though it's free) and go with "Rise of Flight." Hella fun simulator/game with considerably better graphics and options than MS Flight Simulator.

12. Morgawr

Morgawr TS Rookie Posts: 18

Actually the 9800 GT has about the same if not more performance the the HD 5670. It just doesn't support direct X11.... and it's also a lot more power hungry.

13. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,537   +445

Disappoint. All that I can say, granted it is Free, but this isn't exactly my type of game. I put a couple pictures up if anyone is interested, this is how the game looks maxed out.

14. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 980   +85

I played the beta, it was pretty enjoyable.

15. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 794   +87

Can i play it with my magic stick? Flying is boring. Mount guns on the planes, M$!

16. indiangamer

indiangamer TS Member Posts: 56   +8

if it will help me BF3 jets then i will download it........

17. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Intel i7 980 extreme, 6 core processor, HT enabled 12 Vertual cores.
    24 gig ram. Triple Channel.
    Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm 300 gig HD, with 200 gig free space..
    2 x GTX-560-Ti video cards.

And it says my Microprocessor in not compatable... say what...
    Loaded it anyways and played it on maximum settings...
    works good no glitches...
    fun game...

:)

18. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

can you fly with a mouse? or does it require a joystick. i mean is it playable with a keyboard/mouse?

19. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,093   +93

Horrible game in my opinion. M$ has turned this into an arcade game, rather than a flight sim.