Download of the Week: uTorrent 3.0 beta

Jos

Staff

The beta of uTorrent 3.0 was officially released today. This update to the popular BitTorrent client introduces a wide range of new features and improvements that have been tested in the last few months, including the option to rate and comment on torrent files added to uTorrent, which apparently have been among the most requested in the uTorrent "Idea Bank" website and should give users a better idea of the quality of the files they’re downloading.

uTorrent 3.0 beta adds a new portable mode to run the BitTorrent client without installation as well as the option to stream media torrents while they are being downloaded. It also added the newest version of their remote access functionality to the app, so you can control your downloads from any computer or mobile phone.

Another interesting new option is the super-simple ability to share torrent and torrent links with others. A "drop files to send" area in the bottom left-hand corner lets users create a torrent and start seeding it automatically by simply dragging and dropping files to the uTorrent interface. Users will get a link to send to their friends directly. Or even if you don't create the torrent file, you can always right-click any download and select Send Torrent to share it. There's an option to bundle uTorrent with the shared link to make the process easier on less experienced users.

Besides all this the user interface has been revamped and a "simplified view" was added, all while keeping its characteristic small footprint at around 550Kb. You can download the beta in its 32-bit or 64-bit variants, although the developers warn that the 64-bit version "may be considerably buggier." For now it is only available to Windows users.

Permalink to story.

550KB? That's over 70% larger than my installed v2.0.4 version :D

Haha, but seriously µTorrent is an awesome application and I'm thrilled to see the new features being introduced.
I was not too keen in the new interface introduced in the 2.2 branch so I'm skipping that altogether...

I hope my Anti-virus doesnt see it as a threat an vault the exe as it did my current 2.2.1 vs. Will upgrade an see.

Guest, if you have an "Anti-virus" you are screwed as it is. Specially one that is considered so just for opening connections.

uTorrent rocks big time, before it I used Azureus or bitComet but were resource hogs and had trizillion of features no one use or no one cares. uTorrent is simple, small, useful and resource friendly =) (Not like we care this days with 4gb ram and quad core computers... but still).

kibaruk said:
uTorrent rocks big time, before it I used Azureus or bitComet but were resource hogs and had trizillion of features no one use or no one cares. uTorrent is simple, small, useful and resource friendly =) (Not like we care this days with 4gb ram and quad core computers... but still).
Oh really?
You're wrong. Utorrent has a bug when downloading huge torrents(>10GB I'd say) and it just freezes, even if I have a quad and 4GB of ram, and there are many as me who moved away from utorrent just because of this. They know about this bug (for years now) but it still hasn't been fixed. Firon said at some time he'll look into it but nothing ever happened. I loved uT but moved to Vuze because Vuze has no problems with big torrents.

I've not had that problem either, ever. So don't know who are "many". And I've recently download more than a couple of things above 10gbs of info.

In fact, it is such a huge "many" bug that I googled for it and found nothing, utorrent biggest bug, 10gb bug, limit download, big file bug, and a lot of other tries and nothing. Besides...

How could I be wrong if I just use it?

Even i have never had that problem. I only Download Full Blurays which are like >25Gb usually. Never Freezes on me utorrent. Stop Complaining without proof.

I've downloaded 20~gig torrents with uTorrent. Download a new version or buy a new pc. LOL

Ok... since this didnt work to you and a couple more, lets trash utorrent everywhere we can! Cause the other 99% of users who has not reported any problems and continue to tell they dont are plain wrong, I mean... my computer has not crashed... but it probably will cause someone is telling me so I will uninstall it.

Everyone is in their right to have an opinion, sMILEY4ever if you had problems with it, don't say I'm wrong cause I havent had any, tell your experience and then go hide under a rock please.

Haven't had a problem with freezing, even with large torrents. Love the features in v3ß and have had no problems with it (so far). Very configurable, flexible, easy to use. Glad I didn't know about the bug until after I had such good results with it. :)

The first one is from 2007.

The second one could be down to setting connection speed as very fast, leading to the next explanation:

The third one is because it needs the RAM to sort out the data which is being downloaded at 60meg! You think it magics itself onto the hard drive?

Stop trying to rubbish something with 4 year old problems.

You are throwing crap because YOU had a problem with it, discussing necro themes from 2007, telling how uTorrent not only sucked for you, but sucked big time and telling us all how wrong we were and you ask for people to stop throwing **** at you?

I told back there, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when you give one you are not WRONG it's just your opinion BUT if you try to shove your opinion into more people that is WRONG.

Back