TechSpot

Driver problem with Ethernet controller

By beerabuser30
Jul 6, 2010
  1. I have been working on getting this laptop up and running (http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic149432.html) I have finally gotten everything working except the driver for the ethernet controller. It is an intel with the code 8086 100e. So I downloaded from the intel site, This one http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18717&lang=eng

I believe it is the right one. When I try to install it says "The installed version of proset is not supported for upgrades. You must unistall it before installing this version." I have to to go though about ten components to get drivers, If I uninstall I am afraid I will lose the driver that I installed proset for the first time. Any ideas?

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

Are you sure you have the Gateway model number correct? In any case, let's try a couple things to hopefully shed some more light

Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
    • Click File->Preferences
      • Check English
      • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
      • Close Preferences window
    • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
      • Computer
      • Motherboard
      • Network
    • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)
    Also check Problem Devices report
    • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
    • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

3. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 294

There was a problem and here it is

Ethernet Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_100E&SUBSYS_0450107B&REV_02\4&16793A72&0&10F0 This device is not configured correctly.

I appreciate the help

Attached Files:

4. LookinAround

Am about to go to bed... but here's some quick info:

It appears you have the Gateway model correct and you are missing an ethernet driver, but LOOK AT THIS in the report you attached
    Code:
    Network:
          Network Adapter                                   Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection  (192.168.0.8
    So, wasn't clear from your original post but am guessing you do know you have a wireless network adapter working (with a valid IP address so it's also connected)

in any case, will look some more tomorrow when have a chance... Nite ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

5. LookinAround

One more quick thing: Windows reports the Ethernet controller "This device is not configured correctly" vs. no driver installed.

Try uninstalling it from device manager. Download the driver again from Gateway and try another clean reinstall

6. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 294

I have tried that several times and still nothing. Any other ideas?

7. LookinAround

You're running XP. So also
    > Rt click My Computer->Properties->Hardware
    > Click Driver Signing
    > If it is set to Block, Windows will block the installation of any digitally unsigned drivers. In any case, suggest you set it to Warn then check box to Make this action system default
    > Click OK close all the windows and reboot

Now try reinstall. Are you now warned that you are installing an unsigned driver? If so, click Continue

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.