DriverUpdate

circusboy01

I just downloaded this thing called DriverUpdate. It's a Microsoft product. ( or, at least, it has a Microsoft logo.) It says that 21 of my drivers are missing or outdated. They want to charge me $29.95 to update them. Is updating drivers something that one would have to pay for, or can it be done for free. Does having the Microsoft logo mean that I can trust this site? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Thanks.

What drivers do you think you are missing? Personally, I think you're better off going to the manufacturers website of the program & checking there for driver updates.

Look at the drivers they are saying is out of date. Update them manually by visiting the manufacturers website. Run DriverUpdate again and I will bet the same apps still show as out of date. These driver update apps are designed for one thing, to take your money.

What drivers do you think you are missing? Personally, I think you're better off going to the manufacturers website of the program & checking there for driver updates.

Don't know. Didn't read the names of each one. Going to do what clifford said.

Look at the drivers they are saying is out of date. Update them manually by visiting the manufacturers website. Run DriverUpdate again and I will bet the same apps still show as out of date. These driver update apps are designed for one thing, to take your money.

I'll try that, and let you know how it goes. Thanks

O.K. I did a Google search for Realtek Definition Audio Driver. Got all sorts of hits. Used a cnet site to download it.Everything went great, and it was free Opened up DriverUpdate. You were right. It showed that I still had 21 Drivers missing or out dated Thanks again.

O.K. I did a Google search for Realtek Definition Audio Driver. Got all sorts of hits. Used a cnet site to download it.Everything went great, and it was free Opened up DriverUpdate. You were right. It showed that I still had 21 Drivers missing or out dated Thanks again.
Should never download anything from cnet because they have been known to add nasties to their downloads.

If it detects that you are still missing drivers, it may mean that the program is making up driver updates and stating that you have an outdated driver, when in fact, you have the most up to date version. I would just keep drivers as they are if you arent a power user and dont game. Updating drivers in most cases can help, but not to a noticeable amount for the daily user. If you game, only update your graphics drivers since the default drivers for other devices are fine.

SlimDrivers is a good driver downloader that is free. Here is the download (hyperlink): "Download SlimDrivers Now from SlimWare Utilities" (Courtesy of Slimware Utilities). The one you are using is most likely a scam.

This is very cool. I used the link you sent and downloaded Slimdriver. It, also sais I had 21 outdated drivers.I started updating, what I thought was the first 1 of the 21. But When it was finished I re started my computer, and it had installed all of them.. Slim Driver is a great site. Thanks very much.
Should never download anything from cnet because they have been known to add nasties to their downloads.

I'll remember that. Looks like it didn't update the Audio driver like it said it did. Because when I did a scan with SlimDriver It still showed that I needed 21.

If it detects that you are still missing drivers, it may mean that the program is making up driver updates and stating that you have an outdated driver, when in fact, you have the most up to date version. I would just keep drivers as they are if you arent a power user and dont game. Updating drivers in most cases can help, but not to a noticeable amount for the daily user. If you game, only update your graphics drivers since the default drivers for other devices are fine.

Too late. You already gave me the link to SlimDriver, and their already updated.:D

SlimDrivers does the same for me. It downloads 1 chipset driver that updates all the other components (the components are based within the chipset).

I glad to hear I am not the only one who use slimdrivers. But beware when using it. It is not always correct.

Softpedia & download.com are known sites for nasties. Might try here https://www.techspot.com/drivers/

I'll try to remember about Softpedia, as well as cnet. I've used them both in the past, and I have had a few problems with my PC. No way to know if they were the problem though. I never seem to remember about the TS downloading site. Don't think I ever heard of download.com, but I'll steer clear of it too. Thanks

If it detects that you are still missing drivers, it may mean that the program is making up driver updates and stating that you have an outdated driver, when in fact, you have the most up to date version. I would just keep drivers as they are if you arent a power user and dont game. Updating drivers in most cases can help, but not to a noticeable amount for the daily user. If you game, only update your graphics drivers since the default drivers for other devices are fine.[/quote

Since I updated my drivers, I lost my Realplayer Youtube downloader. Even uninstalled a re downloaded, and installed it.. According to my desktop icon I have it. But when I try to use it. nothing happens. I like it a lot because it's just a one click operation.. I downloaded and installed YTD video downloader, it works fine. .

Softpedia is a site to avoid as Learnin' said. Download.com is also bad.

I glad to hear I am not the only one who use slimdrivers. But beware when using it. It is not always correct.
I dont really use it anymore since I keep my drivers up to date. Plus, after a year or so, most drivers that slimdrivers detects are not updated after a year for your particular chipset.

Thats about what I was getting at. But sometimes it will come in handy if you can not find a driver to get you up and going.

I had a big scare. The day after I updated my Drivers using SlimDriver, I couldn't get online, because Netgear needed a digital driver that wasn't installed. I had to leave for 4 days for a family get together So I couldn't try to fix it
So I worried about it all the time I was gone
When got home I realized that I had no clue how to fix it, and I couldn't get any help from TS because I couldn't get on-line.
Finally I had a brain storm. I disconnected my Netgear from the back of my computer, and brought my computer back to factory setting. I rebooted, and the computer started fresh. Like it had never been used.
I reconnected Netgear to the back of my computer,and I can get on line again. ( I guess that goes without saying
as I am posting this on TS)
Quick question: Did I have to take my computer back to factory settings, or could I simply have disconnected and reconnected my Netgear, and run the installation CD again?

Only a guess, but I'd say simply disconnecting your Netgear & re connecting it did it. Welcome back regardless if I'm correct or not. :)

I wonder why your Netgear wasnt functioning correctly. Slimdrivers shouldnt have done anything to it. I guess it maybe updated your network adapter/ethernet controller driver. Reinstalling may have helped, but I cant say for sure. Windows 7 installs drivers that are missing automatically. That may have fixed the issue.

Back