DSL modem/router question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aksd

I have a actiontec DSL modem/router W/wireless B and g. I don't have the model number, but that's not important at this moment (if needed I can get it). The wireless on it is pathetic. I was wondering if it's possible to hook another wireless router into it via and an outgoing RJ45, like a d-link DIR635 or Netgear WNR854T? Basically the router that was sold to us with our DSL sucks majorly.

First, are you sure that the pathetic wireless is caused by the lousiness of your modem and not misconfiguration or unrealistic expectations from your part?

Second. Another router is an overkill and a lot of headaches. Please, buy a wireless access point

(I can't believe I have to tell this to every single person who wants to expand thir network)

Nodsu said:
Second. Another router is an overkill and a lot of headaches. Please, buy a wireless access point

(I can't believe I have to tell this to every single person who wants to expand thir network)
I think you misunderstand; ASKD wants a better wireless
device and reliability, not more connectivity.

First, are you sure that the pathetic wireless is caused by the lousiness of your modem and not misconfiguration or unrealistic expectations from your part?
good question!
ASKD: here's a tip. get the router OFF THE FLOOR. Place it as high in the room
as possible.

jobeard said:
I think you misunderstand; ASKD wants a better wireless
device and reliability, not more connectivity.

good question!
ASKD: here's a tip. get the router OFF THE FLOOR. Place it as high in the room
as possible.

Thank you.

But is it possible to hookup a wireless N "access point" to our current modem/router, and have It work? Here is the model number if needed GT740WG

An access point will work in any LAN. That's the beauty of it - you plug it in, it fetches the IP configuration, you configure the wireless and voilà.

Might be a good idea to disable wireless on your router though so the two devices don't interfere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back