Not open for further replies.

crashinlove

hi,

i got in a very unusual problem...

i am having windows xp pro version as a date

well problem is that perior to that i have dual boot system on my machine

windows xp on c:

and windows98 on my d: drive

but cause some problem had occourred in my windows xp and as i am not able to uninstall windows xp from my system so that i can get back to my windows 98 only.

Then I read some where that as i have installed my os on different drive i can format one partition.

so i formatted my c: drive.

Now i again got windowxp installed on c drive of my machine but since i deleted that c: drive all information related to dual boot i lost and now it only boot in windows xp... though my windows 98 still exists in my d: drive

please help in getting back to my dual boot system as i want to have windows98 also

regards

crashinlove

well i added windows 98 entry in my boot record..

soo now dual boot option comes while booting but its not picking up boot files

and its restarting how do i provide ot edit my files so that windows 98 also get boot when i select ... windows 98 option

When a dual boot system is set up even if you use different partitions there are a certain number of files for each OS that are copied to the root dir on C:
Unfortunately this means that when you formatted C: you lost the files needed to boot 98 even though it was installed to D:
I'm afraid your only choice is to re-install 98.
Usually the older OS needs to be installed first in order to get them to play nice together but you could try just re-installing 98 and point it to D:
Keep in mind this is going to overwrite some files in the root of C: and you might not be able to boot into XP so make sure you back up your critical files.
I have not tried it this way but it might work.
Best case it does work and everything runs...
Worst case you won't have XP to boot to and will have to start over.
BlackViper has an excellent site with info on setting up 98/XP dual-boot systems.

Hope this helps...

patio.

thx a lot patio...

well though i havn't yet not tried this but i think it will work ...

by the way what all files doo i need to back

as a now i backup

boot.ini
ntdetect.com
ntldr..

any other files which i need to take care of...

do let me know

bye

The guys are merely telling you to Backup any Data that is important to you. This is what you should do any time you make changes to your system.

thefrtman

i read that article earlier but that article is for win2k and i have took back up of listed files but i think files are different for XP.

don't u think soo..

more over doo i need to take complete backup of my C drive or i just need to take back of some selected files

please advice... as i want to make sure b4 i start of re-installing of windows98 form my windows98 bootable diskette..

thx

It actually depends on what type of backup strategy you use.
I have TrueImage and i back up about once a month.
I also have an image of a virgin XP install with all my drivers, AV progs.
and diagnostic tools only.( Much faster to get back to square one than a re-install)

patio. :cool:

hi guys, patio

i am back buddies, as per your suggestion guys i tried to reinstall windows 98

but while setup is running in initial stage i get a error message

su 0361..

windows cannot continue installation...

and it exit from the installation... this problem occurred prevously also but and its also don't allowed to do the partition using fdisk..

after making partion when i try to exit from fdisk its struck with a beep and nothing work... soo i got my machine fixed on some other computer.

but this problem never occured in win2k or winxp its only comes in windows 98 please help

thx

I think you guys have messed around enough, the above ideas will never work.
Make backups of all your personal data, then start from scratch.

Windows 98 needs to be installed FIRST and ONLY on the C-drive. Format this in FAT32.
Once that is done, install Windows XP on the D-drive. This automatically creates the boot-menu.
If you want to access the XP-disk from within Windows 98, you will have to format the D-drive for XP also in FAT32.

Yes, it CAN be done!

RealBlackStuff said:
I think you guys have messed around enough.

Agree, but that´s valid for you too, RealBlackStuff... both informations you gave are inaccurate. In fact, Windows 98/ME can be installed after Windows XP, and it can be done on a drive other than C:

Here are the steps:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

Another way:
http://www.bootstrike.com/WinXP/dualboot98.html

P.S.: I know this is a late answer, but I intended it for eventual readers of this thread who end up here after googling for "dual boot", just like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back