Dual boot Windows XP and 2000 problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have windows xp on my computer and was having some problems with some DVD burning software, so I decided to load Win2k so I can have dual OS'. I loaded 2k onto a different logical drive than XP so I have XP on C: and 2k on F: Windows 2k installed fine and works fine, the problem is when I am selecting which OS to boot at the beginning. It gives me the choices Win2k or XP Pro. If I click 2k, it loads normally and works. But, when I select XP, the bar to load 2000 comes across the screen, my screen goes black, and then restarts. I have no clue what the problem is and really need some help. Let me know if you know how to fix this easily or if I'll just have to format my HD and do clean installs, which is fine with me, just time consuming.

Hello,

I tried something similar, and got into a similar mess.

1. I backed up all data, formatted my single partition HD into 2 of 20 GB, both NTFS.
2. Then I install XP Pro on C.
3. Then I installed Windows 2000 server on D. Of course, when I tried to boot into XP after that, it did not allow, while 2000 was fine.
3. Then I re-installed XP in C, as per the dictum of 'latest OS last'.
4. But now, XP is running fine, but I cannot boot into 2000 server! The option of dual boot doesn't show up while booting, and control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery: default operation system ONLY shows XP, not 2000 server.

Can anyone please help me recover 2000 server WITHOUT having to reinstall XP again?

Didn't you read my post?
Install the oldest system first (on the first drive/first partition (C: of course).
Then the next system upwards in the next partition, etc.
They will each add their boot-info to the boot.ini on C:\

Theoretically you can try and edit c:\boot.ini of the XP partition and add the W2K-server to it. You might get lucky.

This has nothing to do with what you install LAST.

diptendub said:
Hello,

I tried something similar, and got into a similar mess.

1. I backed up all data, formatted my single partition HD into 2 of 20 GB, both NTFS.
2. Then I install XP Pro on C.
3. Then I installed Windows 2000 server on D. Of course, when I tried to boot into XP after that, it did not allow, while 2000 was fine.
3. Then I re-installed XP in C, as per the dictum of 'latest OS last'.
4. But now, XP is running fine, but I cannot boot into 2000 server! The option of dual boot doesn't show up while booting, and control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery: default operation system ONLY shows XP, not 2000 server.

Can anyone please help me recover 2000 server WITHOUT having to reinstall XP again?
Get to a win2K command prompt, use your bootable XP CD and install the command console with it, which will again give access to your old XP PRO and an extra XP command console boot option.

Also works with win2K command console.

realblackstuff said:
Didn't you read my post?
Install the oldest system first (on the first drive/first partition (C: of course).
Then the next system upwards in the next partition, etc.
They will each add their boot-info to the boot.ini on C:\

Theoretically you can try and edit c:\boot.ini of the XP partition and add the W2K-server to it. You might get lucky.

This has nothing to do with what you install LAST.

I DID read your previous post, realblackstuff, as well as at other places on the net, about installing the OLDEST FIRST rule. However, I read that AFTER I had done the mistake already. So I tried installing XP again on C: (2000 server was running fine on D:). But I did not install XP while logged into 2000 but by booting from CD AND formatting C: Of course, this changed the boot section for 2000 server too, so now my XP was fine, but 2000 server was not showing.

SO my situation was OPPOSITE. My XP on C: was working, 2000 server on D: was NOT. I wanted to recover the 2000 server.

I got how to change the boot.ini file in XP from a website, so as to detect the 2000 server, did that, and it worked fine.

Thanks all for this help, I really appreciate the way knowledgeable people like realblack and nien here help out us novices.

I also found a website (copyright by Doug Knox) which says that if you have installed 2000 AFTER XP, then boot into 2000, then copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT (with a COM extension) files from the root folder of any other working XP installation, and paste it in the root directory of your 2000 and restart comp. I have not tried this, since I did not need to, but if anyone tries this and it works then please post.

Thanks again.

Long ago, I installed Win2k after XP.

Win2k became the default boot and XP became unbootable (reported to be missing NTLDR)

I then had to launch the XP repair tool to fix this (which probably re-copied the file to XP, as your post suggested).

Hi guys....I am new to this forum. Found this thread when googling my problem. Any help would be great for I am a novice user.

Background.
I have two physical hard drives, disk0 and disk1. Disk0 had three partitions, C, D, E and disk1 has three partitions, F, G, H. I had win98 installed on disk0(fat32) C and win2000 installed on disk1 (fat32) F. Everything always ran fine, allowing me to dual boot.

I wanted to rid my win98 and install XP on disk0. I did not touch disk1(F, G, H). When I ran the setup I deleted partition D and E. When I did this upartitioned space showed up and the remaining C partition. Since I wanted to combine the unpartitioned with my C partition I went to delete the C partition. I got a warning saying something like 'you are deleting a system partition and deleting this will remove any important programs used to boot' or whatever. I went ahead and deleted that partition so it resulted in a new total unpartitioned space. Then I went ahead to format it with NTFS. Everything went fine and XP installed.

Problem is I do not get option of booting into win2000 anymore. This is a similar problem described in this thread. Is changing the boot.ini file all I will have to do. To do this I will back up the file in windows and edit the new file. I plan on adding the line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

I have IDE so I am assuming the multi(0) and disk(0) is correct. Since win2000 is on my second physical disk (disk1) i am assuming rdisk(1) is correct. And since win2000 is on the first partition on disk1 I am assuming partition(1) is correct. Please help.

When you deleted your C:\ drive you also deleted the MBR that has to sit on the first Active partition of your first HDD.
As you read above it is best to load the oldest windows versions first, as they will each write to the Boot.ini file correctly as each version is Backward compatible.
Your best bet will be to clean up ,format and start again with Win2K first.
You can install 2k and Xp to any partition you like after that.

Thanks for the reply....so editing the boot.ini file will not work?

Also you say to 'clean up and format'. Do you mean to just pop the win2k CD in and and delete the C partition or just install over it. Or do I need to do something else first to 'clean up and format'. Then once win2k is installed I will have two win2ks installed, so your saying that then I should install XP over the second win2k I have installed?

Thanks very much
nawab

If your partitions are the size you want ,you can format the ones that have the old O/S's on them and then install, and/or you can rebuild your partitions .
You can do all of this from the CD before you install.
I never install over an existing installation with Windows unless it's an emergency.
So a Clean install on a freshly formatted partition is always the best for Windows.
I hope you have your backups .
You could Freshly install Win2k then transfer Data to it from the old install; then format the old Win2k partition and put the Xp there.
Editing the Boot.ini has never worked for me.

Thanks for the advise...I did just go and edit the boot.ini file and believe or not it worked. Before I did so I ran bootcfg /scan from recovery console and it detected both OS's. Funny thing was my win2k is installed on my F drive but the bootcfg /scan was listing it as my D drive. Im not sure why. Everything seems to be working fine, I get the option of choosing my OS and I can boot into either XP or my win2k just fine. One problem, when I got into XP i installed xp SP2 from a microsoft download I burned to a CD. Once I did this install XP is running super slow. Even when I click on the start menu and navigate through the menus it takes time to come up, the menus are fading in(meaning coming up really slowly). Basically It is running really slow. Could it be my sp2 thats causing this or might it have something to do with the dual boot etc...

thanks
nawab

Nawab, editing the boot.ini file had worked for me too, so I guess it is a good way of solving this problem.
Recently, in another machine with a properly functioning dual boot between XP and 2000 server, I managed to screw up my 2000 server so that I could not log into it. Password recovery tools were too complicated for me to use, and I had no data or applications in 2000 server, so I reinstalled 2000 server. Of course, XP stopped working, so I tried copying the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files as described in my previous post, but it did not work. I am mentioning this on this board so that people who read this should not rely on the 'NTLDR' method.

nawab081 said:
Thanks for the advise...I did just go and edit the boot.ini file and believe or not it worked. Before I did so I ran bootcfg /scan from recovery console and it detected both OS's. Funny thing was my win2k is installed on my F drive but the bootcfg /scan was listing it as my D drive. Im not sure why. Everything seems to be working fine, I get the option of choosing my OS and I can boot into either XP or my win2k just fine. One problem, when I got into XP i installed xp SP2 from a microsoft download I burned to a CD. Once I did this install XP is running super slow. Even when I click on the start menu and navigate through the menus it takes time to come up, the menus are fading in(meaning coming up really slowly). Basically It is running really slow. Could it be my sp2 thats causing this or might it have something to do with the dual boot etc...

thanks
nawab

Like I said earlier it is better to do a clean install !
Your drives' Letters have been simply pushed around by the editing .
It will come back to haunt you!

Installing Win2k to dual boot Win XP and Win2k

Reinstall Windows XP, install Windows XP SP2, go to Tools > Folder Optons... on My Computer, click on the View Tab, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)", click Yes on the onfirm dialog box, go to your OS Drive (C:) and copy these files: NTDETECT.EXE and ntldr on the other HDD or on a CD+-R/RW, reinstall Windows 2000 Server Edition, after install, choose Windows 2000 Server Edition on the OS chooser screen, pop the CD into your drive, copy the files to your Windows XP Drive (C:), restart, select the OS Windows XP, and check to see if it works. If this tutorial works, please PM me or reply to this. If it doesn't please try again. Remember: Remember to backup those two important files.:darth:

MSWindowsUser, do u usually reply to threads 2 1/2 years old that no one is watching anymore?

We don't need this old of a thread brought back to life.

nickc said:
MSWindowsUser, do u usually reply to threads 2 1/2 years old that no one is watching anymore?

We don't need this old of a thread brought back to life.

MSWindowsUser is a newcomer. In fact, that was his first post! So give him some slack!

Welcome MSWindowsUser... you obviously put some time into writing your detailed post. It's a helpful reply though it's a reply to a the thread that happens to be old. You probably found it while doing a search for something..

Is good to look at the posting date first before replying to something in the "archives" (but is easy to forget to do that)

I, too, have a dual boot problem with a twist. I have Win2k on my C drive. I added another D drive and did a clean install of XP on it. It modified boot.ini on my C drive and I can boot into either OS.

Problem is that I have a XP image from the same computer that I have been using with XP for about 1 year and it has a bunch of applications and customized settings and I was hoping to avoid reinstalling all of them. So I thought that once I had the structure in place, then I should be able to reimage my full XP to replace the new XP and get all my old stuff. It boots but then freezes.

It boots with the black Microsoft XP picture, screen turns to 2 tone of blue (dark blue top and bottom, light blue in the middle) and shows a small WindowsXP in the middle. Normally this only stays up for a very short time and then you see WELCOME. When mine now freezes at the small WindowsXP part.

The new XP didn't have NTDECT.COM so I tried to copy over NTDETECT fro Win2k to my D drive but that didn't help. XP did have ntldr but I copied over the one from my D drive but it didn't make a difference.

It looks like I'm 99% there. Any fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back