TechSpot

dual booting with win2k server on 2hds

By sr1234
Aug 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi,

Can any body help me how do i make my pc dual boot with win 2k on two hds.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

If you have one W2K on the C-drive, just put the W2K CD in, boot from it (maybe change in BIOS to boot first from CD), and then install a second W2K (or Server or Adv. Server) or XP on another Partition or Harddisk.
    It will automatically create the boot-menu.

3. sr1234

sr1234 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi realblaskstuff,

Thankyou very much for the reply, but my problem is the second harddisk is preloaded with win 2k and i don't want to format the same and reinstall the os. i am trying to edit boot.ini but not yet successful.may i have no other option but to reinstall the os.

4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

You can do as Real said and try to "repair" the pre installed version I just am not sure that will rewrite the MBR.
    If you have a functioning W2K are you editing Boot.ini in it?

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

If W2K is on the second HD, install another copy of W2K on the first harddisk. The endresult will be the same. Do not mess with boot.ini if you don't know what you are doing!

6. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Wait ; Have I got this right ; You have 1 HDD with W2K loaded in the machine ,Then added a secound HDD with a PRE_INSTALLED copy ? Did this secound HDD get loaded while installed in another Machine?
    If so it will not work, you will have to re-install anyway.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.