Duel Processors

By Sir Loin
Feb 26, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was reading somewhere that some guy installed two processors, is this possible, and where on the MoBo would you put a second processor?
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

3. gasstronamicle

gasstronamicle Newcomer, in training Posts: 45

there are plenty dual cpu mobo, theres even a 754 and a 939 dual socket mobo so if u cant aford a 939 proccesor now you can easily upgrade later.
  4. Didou

False. Only Opterons 2xx CPUs can run in dual CPU configurations. Socket-939 CPUs are scheduled to be upgraded to dual "CORE" CPUs sometime around the end of this year. There's a difference.
  5. gasstronamicle

i didnt say dual core! i siad dual proccesors. as in running 2 cpu's on one motherboard...
  6. gasstronamicle

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Yes, I've seen such boards before. They can use only one CPU socket at a time.
  8. gasstronamicle

i know but i lvoe tehm any way lol. but tehre are dual cpu mobo's if any wants i can find some.
  9. Didou

It's the same as the AthlonXP (K7) board which allows you to upgrade to a Socket-754 CPU later on. They can only run one CPU at a time which does not qualify as a DUAL CPU CONFIGURATION.
  10. gasstronamicle

11. Didou

That's a Socket-A board, not Socket-754 or Socket-939. Sure there are socketA SMP boards, even Socket-370. But no SMP boards for Socket-754 or Socket-939.
  12. gasstronamicle

u said only opertrons.. you were proven wrong. i never siad there were 939 or 754 dual mobo. i said theres a mobo with a 939 socket adna 754 socket :haha:
    there are dual socket 940 mobos
  13. Didou

Your statement is false for it says that they are dual cpu mobo including one with socket-754 & socket-939. I only mentionned Opteron because it is the only current AMD CPU capable of SMP. Anyone knows (or should know) that SMP boards existed even before that.

14. gasstronamicle

i meant that it has one socket for 754 and one socket for 939 lol.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.