DVD burning extremely slow

hey guys/girls

im having a rather annoying problem with my dvd burner.
as the title leads on, it started burning extremely slowly, and by that i mean, a regular 4.7 gb dvd takes 1.5 hours to burn, and im burning regular .avi movies (something that normally takes somewhere between 8 - 10 mins max)

the hardware i got is a:

LG HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-T21N burner

and its attached to my xps laptop (running windows xp pro)

now i did a little digging on the net about this issue and alot of ppl have experienced this with alot of other drives, and usually the problem is the OS changes the data transfer mode from DMA to PIO...to which many ppl have many solutions

so here is where my problem begins!

first and foremost my device manager IDE controllers looks like this:

------------------------------
intel(r) ICH8M 3 port serial ata storage controller -2828
intel(r) ICH8M ultra ata storage controllers - 2850
primary IDE channel
primary IDE channel
ricoh memory stick controller
ricoh sd/mmc host controller
ricoh xD-picture card controller

--------------------------------

first thing i did was check the advanced settings in the primary ide channel (both of them) and one of them is running ultra DMA mode 5 (im assuming thats the hard drive) and the other is running ultra DMA mode 2 (assuming thats the dvd burner)

so nothing i can change there...

so i tried to uninstall the "second" primary IDE channel (the fourth one from the top - the one that is running ultra DMA mode 2)

then i restarted and the problem still persists....so i went back on the net to search for other options...some which called for a registry fix...

which was something along these lines...

went through regedit to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E969-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

where i was supposed to find and manually delete (the correct) folder which contained the dvd burner registry

in the above mentioned reg folder i have this:

---------------------------------
0000 --> DiverDesc - intel(r) ICH8M ultra ata storage controllers - 2850

0001 --> DiverDesc - intel(r) ICH8M 3 port serial ata storage controller -2828

0002 --> DiverDesc - primary ide channel

0003 --> DiverDesc - secondary ide channel

0004 --> DiverDesc - primary ide channel

0005 --> DiverDesc - secondary ide channel

0006 --> DiverDesc - ricoh sd/mmc host controller

0007 --> DiverDesc - ricoh xD-picture card controller

0008 --> DiverDesc - ricoh memory stick controller

properties
-------------------------------------

so i deleted the 0004 as naturally it seemed to be the "second" primary IDE channel entry (here i wasnt sure about 0003 and 0005...as per why where they named secondary ide channels when there wasnt any indication of secondary in the device manager)

after which i restarted...and again nothing changed..

at this point i went and updated the firmware for the burner to the latest version...but again to no avail

after countless other hours sifting through the net for solutions...i thought id ask some experts about this...so here i am...

EDIT
it seems my hdd transfer speed is slow as well...i tried moving 5 gb from my onboard hdd to an external hdd...(an operation which normally takes maybe 5 mins) and it took me over an hour and a half

can you please help me?

ps. in case any1 is asking...or if it is of any relevance

using nero
sony blank dvd-r single layer

also, i burned about 4 dvd's one after the other...out of the same package...and a few hours later i tried a 5th one...which turned out to take more than twice the other 4 combined (i also burned a 6th, 7th and 8th...with all my other speed check attempts after the troubleshooting i attempted)

Hm, if both your hard drive and your DVD burner are running slow, I would suggest maybe looking into flashing the BIOS of your motherboard? Both the HD and the DVD are hooked up by SATA, correct?

A few things to test here: Transferring data from the computer to an external drive seems slow, try transferring data the same way in Safe Mode, see if it speeds up any, if it does, I would say some type of software is slowing it down.

Could try replacing the SATA cables, or if you have more then 2 SATA ports on the board, if they are not already spaced out, try spacing them farther apart(Though I do not see this as a soloution, you can always try it)

One other thing you could try if you believe it might be software/registry related rather then hardware is do a Recovery to a date/time previous to when you experienced this problem, see if that helps any,

Back