DVD/CD Writer is Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutch

Hello,

My current DVD/CD writer is no longer reading any type of disk. Tray opens, insert disk, green light comes on, goes off and once awhile flickers. Not sure if the laser/lens is dirty, mechanical failure or software/driver/chipset problem.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

In the event the current writer (IDE) needs to be replaced; can I replace it with a SATA writer? They are now less expensive than IDE writers.
My PC has one SATA HDD and one more SATA connection available on the MB. If so, what is it I need to do to make this work, if possible? Driver changes, BIOS changes, etc.

Motherboard: MSI K8MM-V (MS-7142)
Chipset: VIA SATA RAID Driver for VT6410/VT6420/VT8237
BIOS: Phoenix Tech. 6.00PG

Any advice/input will be appreciated and if additional info is needed, please let me know.

Thank you in advance

I think there is a good chance if you service the lens it will start working again.

Secondly, you don't need to update bios to plug-in an sata dvd drive.

I think there is a good chance if you service the lens it will start working again.

Secondly, you don't need to update bios to plug-in an sata dvd drive.

Thanks Archean, I'll give the cleaning a try. In the event that doesn't do the job and from what I understand from you, I can install a SATA writer essentially as a "plug and play" procedure? Is that correct?

I already bought a Liteon SATA DVD/CD writer at Fry's which I can return if I can get the current writer to work. This unit his a disk included with Nero trial sofware and drivers for the writer. Should I install those drivers or let the writer find them in Windows 2000Pro?

Thank you.

It should work just fine once you plug it in :)

Nero has grown out of proportions .... I switched to Imageburn few months ago; simple and easy interface does what it needs to do.

Also try [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

Thank you. Looked around in the link you provided, however, my OS is W2000Pro and the article applies to XP and later OS's only. Since 2000 and XP are very similar, from what I understand, could these fixes be safely applied for 2000Pro?

Thanks

I'm not sure about using the MS FixIts (you'll have look at which OS each FixIt supports) but you can certainly try the registry edit to manually delete any upper and/or lower filters should they exist. Upper/lower filters existed back in W2000 as well

I'm not sure about using the MS FixIts (you'll have look at which OS each FixIt supports) but you can certainly try the registry edit to manually delete any upper and/or lower filters should they exist. Upper/lower filters existed back in W2000 as well

Hello LookinAround,

MS FixIt is for XP or later OS only, I'm still running 2000Pro but getting ready to install XPPro but can't do so untill I get the CD writer to work.
I deleted both the CD-ROM upper and lower filters in the registry. Movie DVD is now working, but not music CD or any software CD's. Since movie DVD's work, doesn't that mean that the lens is not in need of cleaning?

Any thoughts on were to go from here to fix the problem I'm having? Could it be possibly a software related problem with WMP, Power DVD, NTI DVD/CD maker or AC'97?

Thanks in advance

<snip>
  • You must reboot before re-testing
  • After removing filters, you may need to reinstall 3rd party disk and CD/DVD products if they no longer function correctly
    > The instructions below can remove all your 3rd party filters
    > Removing all filters can remove a faulty filter and fix your problem BUT
    > Removing all filters may also remove a filter still needed by a disk or CD/DVD product to work correctly
    > If you find a disk or CD/DVD product not working after removing filters, uninstall then reinstall the product
<snip>
Note above from the filters link... Next try reinstalling your CD/DVD products (e.g. NTI and PowerDVD). Hopefully, might solve the remaining problems

In fact.. try this order...
> Uninstall your CD/DVD products
> Go in device manager. Rt click the device to uninstall the CD/DVD drive itself
> Reboot. Windows will then reinstall the CD/DVD
> Now reinstall your CD/DVD products

Hope this might help. Let us know

/* edit */
btw... this issue with filters should only impact a running system. It shouldn't be an issue if you try to boot from a CD and then install. If a boot from CD and XP install itself isn't working it would point to hardware, firmware or BIOS

Note above from the filters link... Next try reinstalling your CD/DVD products (e.g. NTI and PowerDVD). Hopefully, might solve the remaining problems

In fact.. try this order...
> Uninstall your CD/DVD products
> Go in device manager. Rt click the device to uninstall the CD/DVD drive itself
> Reboot. Windows will then reinstall the CD/DVD
> Now reinstall your CD/DVD products

Hope this might help. Let us know

/* edit */
btw... this issue with filters should only impact a running system. It shouldn't be an issue if you try to boot from a CD and then install. If a boot from CD and XP install itself isn't working it would point to hardware, firmware or BIOS

Thank you....I will do as you suggested. Any merit to removing WMP and/or the VIA Vinyl AC'97 Codecs/Drivers as well?

Thanks

Thank you....I will do as you suggested. Any merit to removing WMP and/or the VIA Vinyl AC'97 Codecs/Drivers as well?

Thanks
Hmmm.... I don't think AC'97 stuff should make a difference.

As for WMP... i don't think WMP installs or relies on any CD/DVD filters either though if you want to uninstall/reinstall WMP it can't hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back