DVD drive help

By MD916
Aug 23, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My CD/DVD-RW drive on my notebook is quite odd. It's able to read CD-ROMs, but when I try to play a DVD, it acts like nothing's in there. I don't think it's because of a virus, as I just installed Norton Internet Security, and ran a full sweep.

What can it be that affects DVDs, yet not CD-ROMs?

Thanks alot.
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

The DVD laser is probably dead.
  3. MD916

MD916 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for responding.

But how? It's like a year old. So do I get the laser replaced? How much does that cost? Or would I have to get the whole drive replaced?
  4. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

It'd be the whole drive unfortunately.

Also, get rid of norton internet security, its rubbish. You would be better off with the spyware. Ive seen sooooo many problems caused by norton its almost beyond belief.
  5. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

YOu could check to see if the drive is still under warranty. if so then the manufacturer of the notebook or drive should replacee it.
  6. MD916

MD916 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Could it be something that I installed affected the drive? Would it help to reinstall the drive? If so to either of the two, how would I go about fixing it?

Thanks
  7. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Nope, its definitely hardware failure, seen it many times, replacement is your only option.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.