E2140 maximum gaming potential..

Status
Not open for further replies.
my brther have a kinda crappy pc and he needs an upgrade because he wants to become a pc gamer but he wants to keep his processor and mobo.. any tips??? he wants to stay under 700 bucks or 700bks : mobo: D945gcnl and E2140 duhh!! thxs for reading

Can you be more specific about his computer?
I'm pretty sure you have a single PCI-E slot...so for now I will tentatively suggest a 5770 or 5750 with a corsair 400w.

It would be handy to know what power supply is in the system (model, wattage, amperage for +12 volt rail/s), how much RAM is onboard (the board has 2 memory DIMM's that can hold a maximum of 2Gb DDR2 running at 333 (DDR2-667) according to Intel's spercification.
What graphics card is presently installed ?
As hellokitty mentioned, the board has a PCIe x16 (v1.0) slot so updating to a capable card is not a problem. The CPU, and to a much lesser degree RAM, are going to be the factors in holding back any significant performance increase- dependant upon what games will be played, what screen resolution is used and what level of graphics upgrade you choose.

Yes...it would be your processor holding you back after an upgrade.
I might even suggest a 5670 at $90 instead of the 5750.

SAPPHIRE 100287L Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ... - Retail
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

If your looking for something specific, especially when you have a name, this is always a useful skill toi have.
Why not the better video card? After all, you can take it with you, so to speak.

Besides, we're claiming a $700.00 budget to "upgrade" an Intel 945 chipset board. :rolleyes: Really, at the $500.00 price point you can just get rid of it.

my brther have a kinda crappy pc and he needs an upgrade because he wants to become a pc gamer but he wants to keep his processor and mobo.. any tips??? he wants to stay under 700 bucks or 700bks : mobo: D945gcnl and E2140 duhh!! thxs for reading
Maybe its not 700 USD..... For all you know its 700 Yen, or RMB....
Then Pctobeupgraded needs to work on his communication skills, and monetary conversion, because I don't need to work on my reading interpretation.

I don't discount that this could be a bizarre convergence with American English slang, and the actual name of another country's currency.

srry for not expressing well
Then I'll go back to my original suggestion, to replace the PC, not upgrade.

$700.00 buys a lot of PC. As long as you're not costing in Keyboard, monitor, and mouse for the time being. There are great performance gains to be had in Intel (core 1i-3 & i5) systems, as well as AMD's "Phenom" series.

DDR-3 & native SATA HDD interface to name just 2.

That is true...as personal preference, it would be most money efficient to put in the corsair 400w and the 5670, however, it is ultimately up to the poster.

If you could be a bit more specific on your budget...or if you want to build an entirely new computer.

Trust me bro, your not going to want to keep that mobo and processor

You should do what im doing in a couple weeks

I have an $800 USD budget, and im getting an entirely new computer. The only thing im saving is an ATX case from like 1998. However, considering im aiming for the higher-level PC gaming area, i think a $700 USD would be a great improvement over your current PC.

If you want simpler gaming, i would take an AMD Phenom II Triple or Quad core processor, a new mobo that support PCI-E 2.0 x16, DDR3 RAM support, and an AM3 socket for that badass processor :D and at least 600W of power

I would recommend Windows 7, about 2-4 GB RAM, and possibly an nVidia GeForce 8800+ or something along those lines, and maybe a 500gb Hard drive, with a SATA interface. And the best part is, as long as its an ATX case, you can save it and it should save you a good bit of money :)

I am going to post a guide to building computers very soon, just as soon as i can get my new parts in so i can take some pictures. If your not sure how to build one, there are several video tutorials on youtube, theres some books you can read, and, if you wait a couple weeks, my tutorial that i will post

Good Luck,

sw123

I would say it doesn't make any sense at all to stick with the E2140. I have an E2xxx CPU on my comp used as a NAS. I use it sometimes to surf the net, since its in the most accessible area in the house (weird huh?).

I still think that even for surfing, that CPU is crap.

So for gaming, I would just ditch the $50 CPU, and what seems to be an equally crappy motherboard as well, although you can probably save a few bucks and stick with the motherboard, and get an E8xxx CPU to go with that. But thats about all I'd keep. I'd replace everything else in the box, including the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back