E8400 or q6600

e8400 or q6600

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nosebleedXD

for you to decide, i just want to know techspot's opinions to these two processors

as for i am buying one soon since my b day and CHRiSTMAS =] is coming up

so yeah ... THANK YOU =]

E8400

The E8400 is on sale at Microcenter for $149.95 until the 28th, (Dec 2008).

I still think the dual cores are a better idea for gaming, with the quads being better for video encoding and the like. The Q6600's price is way down, but it's "old tech" (well sort of) @ 65nm. The E8400 is at the absolute sweet spot of price vs. performance. (IMHO, of course).

My son's birthday is the 14th of Dec. so we sort of gloss over it a tad, monetarily speaking. Too close to Christmas and all that.

Q6600 hands down

The E8400 is a nice processor, but I would still take the Q6600 over it any day. Even though 65nm, it beats out the E8400 even with a mild overclocking. Dual cores aren't "better" for gaming; I don't know who came up with that theory. More games nowadays just take advantage of two cores but if you have a quad it's not gonna make a difference. The Q6600 (G0) is still one of the best processors around and it's well worth the extra cash if you have it. I have yet to see this revision fail to reach ~3Ghz with little vcore added... it's a great processor.

The E8400 is a nice processor, but I would still take the Q6600 over it any day. Even though 65nm, it beats out the E8400 even with a mild overclocking. Dual cores aren't "better" for gaming; I don't know who came up with that theory. More games nowadays just take advantage of two cores but if you have a quad it's not gonna make a difference. The Q6600 (G0) is still one of the best processors around and it's well worth the extra cash if you have it. I have yet to see this revision fail to reach ~3Ghz with little vcore added... it's a great processor.

8400, smaller die, higher o'c, and it does better for games. What benchmarks have you been looking at? 3ghz with little vcore added? 8400 hit 4ghz with 1.37volts. Q6600 hit 3.5 with around 1.45

I have both and prefer my E8400 for gaming and my Q6600's (have 3 of them) for productivity and content creation.

An Elegant Solution......

Given all the writing, debating, anguish, uncertainty, and eventual second guessing one's self, that usually occurs during this (almost) exact thread that occurs frequently here at TS, LNCPapa has generated a solution elegant in it's simplicity. Simply build a machine for each of the CPUs.

Put a end to frustration and doubt! Treat yourself to a box for each, you'll be glad you did. Game on one while the other is rendering HD Video. Here in the colonies we've already moved beyond the two car, two television frontier, two high end computer systems should be the next logical paradigm...!

Yo Smash, you should know this, you've already done it. Well, fess up. LOL

The E8400 will absolutely slaughter the Q6600.. They're not even close.

I actually put a Q9450 up against an E8400 in the exact same rig.. The E8400 blew it away in pretty much everything I threw at it (games, games and more games).

Q6600 is old school.. And most apps right now don't even use two of the cores... Don't bother with it.

Given all the writing, debating, anguish, uncertainty, and eventual second guessing one's self, that usually occurs during this (almost) exact thread that occurs frequently here at TS, LNCPapa has generated a solution elegant in it's simplicity. Simply build a machine for each of the CPUs.

Put a end to frustration and doubt! Treat yourself to a box for each, you'll be glad you did. Game on one while the other is rendering HD Video. Here in the colonies we've already moved beyond the two car, two television frontier, two high end computer systems should be the next logical paradigm...!

Yo Smash, you should know this, you've already done it. Well, fess up. LOL

Tis true. Its a learning experience

The E8400 will absolutely slaughter the Q6600.. They're not even close.

I actually put a Q9450 up against an E8400 in the exact same rig.. The E8400 blew it away in pretty much everything I threw at it (games, games and more games).

Q6600 is old school.. And most apps right now don't even use two of the cores... Don't bother with it.

LOL @ the idea of the E8400 "slaughtering" anything. They are more close than you think. As far as your little comparison goes... do you have the benchmarks to prove that? While it's true that the E8400 can handle amazing overclocks, it only holds a few advantages over the Q6600 in terms of gaming. I don't see the point of building two separate systems when you can just drop in a quad and have great performance all around. You're just throwing money away. I think it's funny how all you dual-core guys think the Q6600 is "old school." Yea 65nm... so what? It's easily the best quad-core processor for under $200 and the G0 holds unbelievable overclocking capabilities.

Actually I ran them both stock, and the E8400 even beat it at 3dmark (in terms of overall score, albeit the CPU score was higher on the quad because 3dmark can use all four cores).

Q6600 is an old tank. Move on. Besides, there's almost nothing out there software-wise that can use all four cores anyways. Even when the Q6600 came out it was a waste of money. Viva 45 nm!! :D

BTW, I ripped out the Q9450 and sold it. I put my E8400 back in and I've been happy ever since. Totally not impressed.

I will "move on" when a decent 45nm quad is released (Q8200 is a joke). For now, I'm gonna wrap up my input with this lousy thread (which has been covered a million times btw) and keep my Q6600 in it's socket... unused cores and all :)

There have been talks about this previously. A member of ours is stuck in between two different cpus. We should probably be objective at least about the tread.

I would hate to send you to another website for info on this, but Tom's Hardware has a complete benchmark series comparing the two cpu's in question along with most other cpu's that have come out in the last couple of years. If you look at the gaming benchmarks and the fps scores, you'll see that the 8400 beats the 6600 every time. But, in the processing of videos, encoding and whatnot, and other heavy cpu laden software programs, you'll see that the 6600 is the better of the two. The url to the comparison is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2008-q1-2008/compare,369.html?prod[1275]=on&prod[1267]=on

How is it that we have 7 posters and only 5 votes. Sooo, me thinks if you're going to run your typewriter with an opinion, at least embrace the nonsense fully and vote. This is fair, yes?

OK. the E8400 is better for games, the Q6600 is better for Video. That really is old news. Perhaps that's better phrased as, that is really, really old news. And while I enjoy certain types of threads that go on forever, this unfortunately isn't one of them.

For that matter, 4 pages of BS about "I want to spend $30.00 for a PSU, which one should I buy", didn't exactly massage my patience either. Yeah, one thread pretty much went down like that.

So, pick the thing you want to do most with the computer, take your wallet out, and buy the appropriate CPU. Or buy one of each, and go play quietly with them. Sorry, things like that just slip out sometimes.

I don't suppose I could vote a dozen or so more times, sort of like "Dancing with the Stars"? If I could, would that turn the tide in favor of my choice? Would the winning CPU actually be purchased? I guess we'll all have to stay tuned to see if the eagle really flies, or we're still saving up. A veritable Techspot soap opera, I tell you. Let's call it, "As the Fan Turns", or "Days of Our Computing". Wait, I"ve got it, "Desperate Gamers". LOL

IMO, it depends on what you want to do with it... as said in numerous posts (including the above 3 ;) ) if you don't do video/audio processing or a multi tasking maniac then there is no reason to buy a quad core, especially since the new Core i7's are out (though they're expensive to upgrade to) and have a different socket, so upgrading would be a no-no

if I were you I would go for the E8400

if I were to buy me a CPU today than I would buy a C2Q (probably a 45nm version) since I already have an E6600 @ 3.2GHz

price wise, you can get a Q6600 for ~$189 and an E8400 for ~$165. By picking the E8400 you would end up with a (generally) faster, cooler, cheaper CPU, with a higher FSB than the Q6600, almost as much cache (6MB vs 8MB) and better OC potential.

sincerely, I don't find comparing a new high end dual core 45nm CPU with one of the oldest quad core 65nm CPUs (that now stands at the lowest end of the C2Q table) as a fair thing
people should be comparing the 8400 with the new Q9450... sure it costs twice as much as a E8400, but that's what you're essentially getting, 4 cores instead of 2.

also, it's possible to OC the Q6600 past 3GHz (where it would definitely leave the E8400 in the dust), but not unless you have great cooling, a good mobo and have a lot of knowledge about OCing

just my 2 cents...

PS: I voted for the Q6600

q6600 FOR THE WIN =]

btw captain cranky, i was just wondering what techspot thinks =] no need to get all fussed up
[and i fail at everything so yeah, me noob]

so basically i live in canada and i see q6600 for about 219CAD, wondering if it will drop anymore

I dont see that thing dropping in price for another few months. Those things are still on order. Even over a year after release.

How is it that we have 7 posters and only 5 votes. Sooo, me thinks if you're going to run your typewriter with an opinion, at least embrace the nonsense fully and vote. This is fair, yes?

Well, Cpt, no it's not fair. It's an improper vote to just be saying one is better than the other in this case. He didn't specify whether he wanted the cpu for games or for video processing. He asked which was better. I can't very well vote for one that is better until I know what he's going to do with it. So, I have refrained from voting. Sorry that upsets you so much. =P

Happily though, it looks as if the winner is the q6600 as nose chose =)

Have fun with yer new cpu nose :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back