TechSpot

EA pulls Crysis 2 from Steam, now 'only on Origin' (updated)

By Jos
Jun 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Update: EA has announced that it had nothing to do with Steam's removal of Crysis 2. Instead, the mega-publisher said that Steam dropped the game because of conflicting business terms involving…

Read the whole story

2. Saturday

Saturday TS Rookie

Are you fricking kidding me?! Seriously...I'm going to be pissed if I can't get Battlefield 3 on Steam. Congratulations EA...you just lost a lot of money.

3. I agree you ^. I am not buying EA games if they aren't on Steam. I don't think EA realizes that they don't have many games that people will actually want to buy. Crysis was one of the few games that are actually worth it and considering part 2 was a failure, I cannot help, but see EA's store flunking.

4. Muggs

Muggs TS Rookie Posts: 56

Speaking I only buy games on steam when they have those amazing sales I doubt I will ever own another EA game. Since going to the Origin store you see zero sales and only full MSRP on their games. Oh well their loss.

5. arrh nuts, EA you greedy sods. WHY

6. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 566   +105

If you check out Origin, They are offering Left4dead 1&2 and Portal 2. Unless we hear in a couple days that Steam has done the same thing, I bet they have a deal in place.

7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

Same, I am not buying an EA game if its Orgin only, I only use Steam and will continue this for several reasons other an just great prices.
    EA, if you seriously make Battlefield 3 Orgins only you have lost another customer.
    Personally, I really wish Steam had an app for iOS devices so I can see what friends are online and chat to them but thats about the only thing Orgin has that looks of any use.

Silly EA, trying to make more money.

8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

And so it begins...

9. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

Oh well I'll just get a hard copy then for BF3

10. EA is obviously hurting its partnership with Steam in order to (artificially) promote its news platform.
    Nevertheless, I'm a little bit confused by the previous comments.
    Did you really ever boycott a retail store proposing the game you were expecting to buy, because one other retail store did not have it?
    Is the place you buy your game more important than the gaming experience?

11. limpangel

limpangel TS Member Posts: 65

How am I supposed to buy a game on Origin outside of US/Canada if the Billing Information at checkout only permits those two? Also in my EA profile my country is not even listed.

Also nowhere to be found on Steam the already launched "Alice: Madness Returns". "Star Wars: The Old Republic" will be an "exclusive" as far as I heard. Wonder if Mass Effect 3 will get the same treatment.

For me the message from EA is clear: "Can't buy our games? Then pirate them."

12. Welp, that's three games I intended to purchase when they went on sale on Steam, but now won't be buying at all. Good work EA.

13. limpangel

limpangel TS Member Posts: 65

They will make you register the copy with Origin anyway.

14. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Its called having perspective, and knowing that if you don't make your voice of dissent heard when they start this poo, they'll keep doing it and get worse. Having the game available on multiple stores will lead to the inevitable sales and offers, which probably won't come if the game is exclusive to one store.

People talk about hurting Sony or hurting EA, but the reality is that these huge corporations don't get hurt, not in any meaningful way. In the end the only person that gets hurt is the consumer.

15. Another Smack in the face for PC gamers, and people who actually buy games.

16. insect

insect TS Booster Posts: 215   +56

For me it comes down to not having 230942039842 background apps running when I want to play one game.... I like to fire up steam and that's all and have all my games there. Its a performance thing.

I guess I could install Origin, let it install the game, and then shortcut it through steam, assuming that it won't auto-launch Origin.

Now, could I shut down one and only run the other when I switch games? Sure. Do I want to? No.

EA is making a lot of dumb moves recently, IMHO. I hope they change their minds quickly before going the way of the dodo.

17. Personally, I don't go to retail outlets to buy PC games anymore. I buy from one place: Steam. If the games are not on steam I don't buy them. I have no desire to have my games fragmented across multiple applications. I want one application, and since Steam is publisher agnostic that is the one I'm sticking with.

18. i'm not getting an origin account, much like how i'm not getting a uplay, or Windows LIVE account.
    goodbye bad sequel

19. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

But EA makes less money this way, considering they are charging hard copy prices on Orgin anyway, they basically lose a small percentage that the Shop rightly takes as profit.

So yeah you'll still need orgin, but they get less money at least...

20. Saturday

Saturday TS Rookie

It's not about whining because you have to used a different retail store. Keyword being retail. This is having to sign up for another service, download another program, and switch to and run said program to play 1, maybe 2 games. It's about not being able to purchase and run all of your games from one program anymore. It's a pathetic tactic: they know they can't compete with Steam (seriously, why try?) so they decided to boycott it and force customers to buy into their stupid - and second - attempt.

21. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 331   +23

why do I have a feeling that someone is going to contact LULz about EA....

22. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 686   +47

There loss as PC gaming has centered itself around Steam...

23. albertjkruger

albertjkruger TS Member Posts: 18

I'm dumbfounded at (most of) the comments... EA is a business, considering the popularity of Steam it's to be expected that EA would want to challenge Valve for this/that part of the gaming market. Are EA way behind (with Origin)? Yes. Will Origin ever be on equal footing with Steam? Most probably not (even by a country mile). But as a business decision it is really not that unexpected.

For users, obviously it will be a pain to use Origin for a select few games, but that's hardly something that will convince EA to give up. One can only hope that in an attempt to market their platform they'll run specials or other incentives to convince customers to make use of Origin. Rather than just forcing them into it. (Played Orange Box much?) :)

24. Ah, well I do not care if Battlefield 3 is the best game ever made, if its not on steam im not getting it. I will not be bullied into using EAs' origin as I already have steam for my games. I dont need another game manager running in the background.

25. Oh well - and I was considering getting that game....
    Guess they lose that sale.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.