Earth is now outside most of the "planetary boundaries" under which human civilization...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Most discussions surrounding climate change and humanity's environmental impact focus on factors like ice cover and global average temperatures. However, a recently published investigation examines a broader range of factors to illustrate how civilization is headed into uncharted territory compared to the last several thousand years.

According to a recently published analysis based on numerous studies, Earth has crossed six out of nine environmental boundaries that have maintained the conditions under which human civilization developed. The examination attempts to take a broad view of how the planet is changing in ways modern societies have never experienced.

Climate change – the most heavily discussed aspect of humanity's ecological influence – is only one factor upsetting the conditions that have endured on Earth for roughly the past 10,000 years. Others, such as biodiversity, forest cover, freshwater availability, and biogeochemical flows (the relationship between freshwater, the ocean, and soil), are also far outside the norms established during this period.

The term "Holocene" describes the relative stability in the planet's temperature and environment since the end of the last ice age around 10,000 years ago. The entire history of complex human civilization, including agriculture and the construction of cities, has occurred in this period. Scientists have used nine "boundaries" to define the circumstances conducive to this development, and all have been at risk since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

In the diagram above, the green zones represent conditions modern humans are accustomed to, while the red areas show crossed boundaries. The darker red coloring shows which areas are at the most significant risk. The extreme ends of the chart are blurred because researchers either don't have enough information about them or don't know how abnormal the situation can become.

Biosphere integrity concerns biodiversity and is the area facing the most significant risk. Studies indicate land use by humans caused the rate of species extinctions to rise above normal Holocene levels in the late 19th century, while explosions in population and food production starting in the 1960s worsened the problem. However, the analysis stresses that overpopulation isn't the issue. Human civilization can theoretically feed 10 billion people with proper adjustments while sustaining a stable environment.

One area where the potential risks of human intervention remain largely unknown pertains to artificial substances such as microplastics, nuclear materials, and various chemicals. While there has been significant discussion about the adverse effects these substances could have on human health and the environment, their capacity to threaten the habitability of the Earth remains unclear. These artificial materials' long-term consequences, ecological impacts, and interactions with natural systems are subjects of ongoing research and concern.

Ozone levels represent a case where humans successfully reversed conditions toward Holocene norms. Since the ratification of the Montreal Protocol in 1987, ozone depletion rates have recovered and today are only beyond safe boundaries over the Antarctic and southern high latitudes during the spring. Scientists say this and other factors prove it isn't too late to act.

Permalink to story.

What are novel entities? Those supposed to be Aliens or the existence of life.
And where does that term appear in the article? I think the article is clear in stating what the conditions are and what is causing those conditions.
Good grief! They've been complaining about this for 60 years!
That's what happens when real concerns are brought to the forefront and everyone keeps doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results regardless of the concerns.

Oh, look the private jets and luxury yachts club has another report on why we should give up all our freedoms and luxuries and give them the power to make decisions over every aspect of our lives. Nothing at all suspicious about that, they're really just good people trying to save the planet. Just because the plans give them an extreme amount of power over our lives while also making their ventures more lucrative for them is definitely not something we should be concerned with.

And how is this climate-first article loosely related to tech this time? Is it the diagram? The term holocene?

And where does that term appear in the article? I think the article is clear in stating what the conditions are and what is causing those conditions.
...Did you look at the article? "Novel entities" is clearly there above and not explained in this article lol

4.5 Billion years
150 years of climate data
60 years of fairly accurate data
OMG! We're DYING!! You must surrender all your luxuries and rights!!!

This charade is what's dying.
You know we have thousands of years in climate data if not millions

Do you think humans are so dumb not to understand tree rings , ice core samples , sediment layers etc etc

As for giving up private jets - huge useless super yachts , mega holiday homes - only the brainwashed have concerns for these selfish wasteful polluters - Suppose you think they are free to hunt any animal , rip anything out of the ground , destroy any community - because this is what their stupidly high carbon footprint is doing on a small scale
Ban the lot of that I say - and 80% of the rest of the world agree

Imagine yourself living on an island - of limited resources - a few own 95% - - they pollute take lion share of everything - some people sick hungary needed - there you are poor swimming in polluted water - But it's their right to treat me less than human - that's good might is right unrestrained god ordained capitalism - it's their right to have huge buffets of everything - and eat little - laughing as it goes in the dump - while we starve

We have democratic means to make these abusers , morally bankrupt people pay

You wonder why Americans are not that happy of a country - can't afford to call an ambulance

Oh communism , reds under beds - There's good reasons social democracies like Scandinavia are much happier
Do you thing the growing rift between even middleclass and rich is good - welcome to the cult of the lies - the Dream this could be you - pissing off your own tower block onto the grunts below - with your 24 hour security for your kids and family

It's not communism to reign selfish people in - tax them 1000% for stupid meaningless excess that brings only fleeting happiness
A great day out at the park with mates -- everyone brings a plate
Sitting on some god awful ship - 80 meters separating you from the water - and insincere smiles - and other exploiters to talk with ?
a super easy choice for me

oh my life would be perfect with a private jet

What's the matter, no flying cars, no colonized planets, no starship Enterprise, nothing from SF during your life-times? Instead you get...a new $1500 iPhone and a new $1500 MacBook to write such texts on. The climate is changing, but only for dumb, poor third-worlders.

Last edited:
You know we have thousands of years in climate data if not millions

Do you think humans are so dumb not to understand tree rings , ice core samples , sediment layers etc etc

As for giving up private jets - huge useless super yachts , mega holiday homes - only the brainwashed have concerns for these selfish wasteful polluters - Suppose you think they are free to hunt any animal , rip anything out of the ground , destroy any community - because this is what their stupidly high carbon footprint is doing on a small scale
Ban the lot of that I say - and 80% of the rest of the world agree

Imagine yourself living on an island - of limited resources - a few own 95% - - they pollute take lion share of everything - some people sick hungary needed - there you are poor swimming in polluted water - But it's their right to treat me less than human - that's good might is right unrestrained god ordained capitalism - it's their right to have huge buffets of everything - and eat little - laughing as it goes in the dump - while we starve

We have democratic means to make these abusers , morally bankrupt people pay

You wonder why Americans are not that happy of a country - can't afford to call an ambulance

Oh communism , reds under beds - There's good reasons social democracies like Scandinavia are much happier
Do you thing the growing rift between even middleclass and rich is good - welcome to the cult of the lies - the Dream this could be you - pissing off your own tower block onto the grunts below - with your 24 hour security for your kids and family

It's not communism to reign selfish people in - tax them 1000% for stupid meaningless excess that brings only fleeting happiness
A great day out at the park with mates -- everyone brings a plate
Sitting on some god awful ship - 80 meters separating you from the water - and insincere smiles - and other exploiters to talk with ?
a super easy choice for me

oh my life would be perfect with a private jet
Communism is the horror that happened in Eastern Europe, NOT what is happening now in Scandinavia.

Oh, look the private jets and luxury yachts club has another report on why we should give up all our freedoms and luxuries and give them the power to make decisions over every aspect of our lives. Nothing at all suspicious about that, they're really just good people trying to save the planet. Just because the plans give them an extreme amount of power over our lives while also making their ventures more lucrative for them is definitely not something we should be concerned with.
this is not from some rich pseudo new aristocratic nutcase that I wouldn't believe a second but from scientists... even if those rich mofos would stop using their planes, yacht etc ... it would do nothing... how much of those mofos have planes ? 100 ? 1000? 10000 maybe let's be crazy... BUT if you, me , every fcking human would just stop some really sh!t we do or buy... it would make a change... because we're 6 fcking billions... simple maths... I'm terrible in math but even I , understand this...

Communism is the horror that happened in Eastern Europe, NOT what is happening now in Scandinavia.
personnally I stoped to try to educate those yanks that european social democracy is not communism... they're totally brainwashed like north korean level ... oh the irony...

capitalism is as sh!tty as communism in the end... communism corrupt ppl at the top ... capitalism corrupt everyone ... we need a new way...

Last edited:
this is not from some rich pseudo new aristocratic nutcase that I wouldn't believe a second but from scientists... even if those rich mofos would stop using their planes, yacht etc ... it would do nothing... how much of those mofos have planes ? 100 ? 1000? 10000 maybe let's be crazy... BUT if you, me , every fcking human would just stop some really sh!t we do or buy... it would make a change... because we're 6 fcking billions... simple maths... I'm terrible in math but even I , understand this...
The climate crisis is pushed by politicians and billionaires who fund those scientists.

The climate crisis is pushed by politicians and billionaires who fund those scientists.
so, those billionnaires have their powers from us buying their cr@p... and they fund those studies who tell us clearly to stop buying so much of their cr@p... did you sense something quite odd in this ?

so, those billionnaires have their powers from us buying their cr@p... and they fund those studies who tell us clearly to stop buying so much of their cr@p... did you sense something quite odd in this ?
Why is Bill Gates making mystery meat and buying up farmland? Why is it the politicians want us living in cities where we can only go 15 minutes from our government issued sleeping quarters? Why do the people the preach this stuff the most, buy properties where they claimed it would be in the ocean by now. Keep drinking the koolaid.

Why is Bill Gates making mystery meat and buying up farmland? Why is it the politicians want us living in cities where we can only go 15 minutes from our government issued sleeping quarters? Why do the people the preach this stuff the most, buy properties where they claimed it would be in the ocean by now. Keep drinking the koolaid.
so ignoring my point ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back