Editorial: Why I Left Facebook After 7 Years, But Was Forced Back In

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/564-deleted-facebook-account/]https://www.techspot.com/article/564-deleted-facebook-account/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I can easily live without Facebook and don't feel any urge to check in every so often.
Actually I probably go a week sometimes without logging in.
Turning off all the very annoying applications and crap sure helps to clean up the "news" feed so it is not cluttered by crap.
And also having mostly only people I really care about helps.
That isn't to say that certain life changing events don't make me more addicted in periods to the site, but it eventually wears off and then I'm back to "normal"

I have never ever had a Facebook account and I don't really feel left out ;)

I left Facebook and I am not going back! I found a much better social site With other geeks, artists, SyFy buffs and others interested in all kinds of things I am. I stayed away from the site I am now on do to poor reviews.

I keep my Facebook account mostly as a very convenient way to log in around the web. Just like I did to post this comment :)

If you "have to" check your feed every morning, seriously - Facebook is not the problem, but rather your compulsive desire to being updated all the time, is. Facebook is fine if you "manage it" properly.

I've been without Facebook since a couple week before they went Public. It feels so nice.

[FONT=Arial]I don't have a Facebook account. [/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Arial]I honestly never felt the need for one.[/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I'm almost sure I thought about signing up, once or twice. But then there are days when I am just very happy to have my door shut and be completely cut off. [/FONT]

A lot of this stuff such as
Many things annoyed me, but the short list includes political rants, religious preaching, relationship drama and grammar that would disappoint a first-grade teacher.

After all, the fact that I even had over 600 "friends" is comical.
is the user's own fault for adding so many random "friends". Nobody can claim to have more than 50-100 real friends and these are the only people you should be adding on facebook, not random religious preachers or drama queens who you talked to once at a party.

Reminds me of the car ad with the young woman who worries about her parents' social life. While they're out having a great time biking with real friends, she's sitting at the computer talking about her hundreds of "friends" and fretting that her parents only have 19.

"That's not a real puppy. It's too small to be a real puppy."

Never will I have a Facebook account.

I've never got into Facebook - it's so fake and teenagerish. It needs a dislike button. Then I might use my account to dislike politicians, lawyers etc, I'd also like to see a new nemesis option.

Numerous times I've come to the same conclusions and considerations, and have had an account for just as long as Shawn, but at the same time my usage is like Per Hansson. In fact I tell people I actually know and communicate regularly with if it's important for me to know, call/text/IM me instead; then I might actually notice. =p

People always hate what is most popular. Facebook is awesome in that you can easily log into most websites without having to signup. If you know what your doing and how to set your privacy and control your apps and news feed it is a great place. If you let it take over your life then like any addiction you should stop. But for most people its a great way to be able to get in touch with people...Closing your facebook account is nothing to be excited about...you might as well get rid of your cell phone too and turn into a hermit. Like my one friend who never had facebook and think its evil is always surprised when he hears some news...and I'm like dude I knew about that for months. If being uninformed and isolated makes you feel better by all means do it..But for most people being connected to people is what life is about..... Sure could facebook be evil and actual making things worse in the world....possibly....but it isn't going anywhere and few people not using it won't stop the fact facebook is still there and almost everyone and your friends and family are on it but you. And more and more websites are going to require and use facebook. So enjoy isolation but don't shout it out like its a good thing.

I've never truly disliked Facebook but it HAS gotten tiresome. The main reason I have not closed my account is my family abroad. I have a 4 month baby boy and it's the easiest way for me and my wife to share pictures with them, specially the older folks that are not to tech savvy - they don't post or interact, they just open their accounts to see the pictures they've been tagged in.

I keep my Facebook account mostly as a very convenient way to log in around the web. Just like I did to post this comment :)

If you "have to" check your feed every morning, seriously - Facebook is not the problem, but rather your compulsive desire to being updated all the time, is. Facebook is fine if you "manage it" properly.
Aren't you a man of many (logical) fallacies...

I would delete my FB in a heartbeat if it werent so damn easy to find local shows. All the local bands make facebook events, much of which are basement shows so you can't exactly browse all the bars websites to see who is playing that night.

Damn you necessary evils!

I have 3-4 friends who I don't meet on regular basis yet we call up each other once a while to catchup I haven't seen any fb people do that.

I really don't miss fakebook. I got tired of all the bullshit. I don't brag about my life and I'm not good at lying about my life, so fakebook was not a good fit for me. Out of the 100 or so "friends" I did have, I would say only 5 of them really meant something to me. It was easy for me to ditch fakebook. Besides, I really don't like being tracked and labeled over the entire internet according to my facebook settings and preferences.

I resisted getting a Facebook for a very long time, and was finally talked into it about 3 years ago by a girl. (Actually same reason I got a MySpace back in the day...).
But it was the easiest way to talk to her as I didn't have texting on my phone and she has a out of state cell phone number.

Now I don't check it very often. Tops once a day really quick after work. For the most part I don't find it very annoying, but my "Friends" as only people I know IRL (about 50 people).
For the most part I like FB. It lets me keep in tough with friends and family that live in other states.
I think for now I will keep it just for that reason.

Being a musician, having a facebook account really helps me get the word out to friends about upcoming shows for them to attend, and it also helps out a lot with connecting with new musicians inan area that I may be visiting for possible future venues.

Back