Eight-core Intel Sandy Bridge-E processor makes Ebay appearance

Emil

Staff

Intel recently started sending samples of its next-generation processors, codenamed Sandy Bridge-E (The E stands for Enthusiast), to third parties for testing. Inevitably, some engineering samples of the "Intel i7 8 core" have appeared on eBay (via Xbit Labs).

This particular processor is listed with a whopping $1,359.99 price tag. The sale has been shutdown prematurely, however, and it's not clear if it was pulled by the seller or if eBay reacted due to an inquiry from Intel. It's probably the former since the latter would have resulted in the item's page being pulled completely – at the time of writing it is still up.

The eight-core chip is marked as "Intel Confidential" to mark that it is not meant for public consumption. It features Hyper-Threading technology, 20MB of L3 cache, and a clock-speed of 1.60GHz. Here are the official details the eBay user included for the item:

Processor Manufacturer: Intel
Brand: Intel
CPU Type: SB EXTREME
Multi-Core Technology: 8 CORES
CPU Socket Type: 2011
Platform: X79 Express
Clock Speed: 1.6 GHz
Chipset: 7 Series Panther Point
Computer Type: ES SB Q19D

The chip seems to belong to Extreme Edition or Xeon versions of Sandy Bridge E-series processors, assuming previous information that the consumer enthusiast-class processors will only feature four or six cores is correct. Alternatively, the eight-core silicon may mean that Intel is at least evaluating possibility of releasing eight-core CPUs for consumers.

Last month, leaked Intel slides revealed Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge details. According to the roadmap, the high end Sandy Bridge-E will be launched in Q4 2011 and besides targeting the super expensive $999+ segment, apparently it will also include models in premium performance P1 and P2 ranges, which are currently headed by Core i7 970 and 2600 models.

Permalink to story.

1. It's an engineering sample
2. It's possibly a server chip.

Both could account for low clocks, if this is infact real.

I read another article that said that it started life as a server chip, and it probably OC's to 5Ghz+

All desktop Intel CPU's start out as server chips (socket permitting)
The top bin for any socket that has combined desktop/ws/server compatibility is branded Xeon. If the CPU needs a bigger voltage push (VID), or has defects it becomes the desktop part (Core i7 etc.) and the extra Xeon goodies -larger cache, second QPI etc.-get fused off.
The low clocks would almost certainly be a result of either process (or deliberate) crippling and/or being a low voltage part (which typically end up around 2GHz clockspeed as a saleable part)

As for the eight core SB-E migrating to desktop...not totally unexpected:

@red
Overclock to 5+G. That sounds insane -unless (presumeably) it had some subzero cooling or cores disabled.

I was checking out an article the day this broke that was (i'm assuming speculating) that this was actually a server tester that would require an as of yet unreleased server socket. they were wondering if the potential bidders were aware of this. I got the impression that the socket they were talking about was going to be exclusive from desktop parts.

I was checking out an article the day this broke that was (i'm assuming speculating) that this was actually a server tester that would require an as of yet unreleased server socket. they were wondering if the potential bidders were aware of this. I got the impression that the socket they were talking about was going to be exclusive from desktop parts.

X79 (Patsburg) is the desktop platform
C600 (Romley) is the server/ws platform ( single socket with E5-1600, dual socket with Xeon E5-2600 and quad socket with Xeon E5-4600)
Both are LGA 2011.

The eBay items (both the 8 and 6 core that were up for offer) would have been server parts for certain. The certification/validation process for enterprise hardware and software has such a long lead time that the first ES's would invariably be required to validate the multi-socket platform.

Not sure how any tech site could be assuming LGA 2011 is a desktop only platform at this late stage. Most of the info (chipset designations aside!) were fairly well publicised even before Fujitsu nailed down most of the specs six weeks ago

I think there is some general confusion between the Sandy Bridge based Xeons and the LGA 1567 Xeons (E7-28xx (2S) /48xx (4S)/ 88xx (8S) -known as Westmere-EX on the Beckton platform. These CPU's (32nm) are drop in replacements for the Nehalem E65xx/75xx (45nm) Xeon's.
This is an enterprise multi-socket platform only.

Clock speed 1.6.Don't know if I should jump with joy or just...whatever.

I really don't think the under-clocked speed of an unreleased , illegally almost auctioned part means much in relation to the retail part. i would bet a healthy sum that this thing will demolish any and everything on the market at stock clock, and run up to 5Ghz like most recent Xeons do....just a guess.

And I thought we were going to get to see the "Intel releases to many sockets" crowd :)
Should be arriving in 5....4....3...

I'm sure we'll end up inundated by R3D, B3D and SA taliban howling about how they're not buying Intel and are going AMD because the thought of having to go from LGA775 >>>LGA1366>>>LGA1156>>>LGA1567>>>LGA1155>>>LGA2011>>>>LGA1155 (Ivy Bridge). They of course will now be planning their future upgrade path along AM3>>>AM3+ >>>C32>>>FM1>>>G34>>>AM4?...which I note is a much more elegant solution.

I'd better catch up on my night classes in readiness of BD and SB-E forum wars. Monday is "Directing Sarcasm at Totally Humourless People" and Wednesday is "How to Simulate the Appearance of Caring"

Should be arriving in 5....4....3...

I'm sure we'll end up inundated by R3D, B3D and SA taliban howling about how they're not buying Intel and are going AMD because the thought of having to go from LGA775 >>>LGA1366>>>LGA1156>>>LGA1567>>>LGA1155>>>LGA2011>>>>LGA1155 (Ivy Bridge). They of course will now be planning their future upgrade path along AM3>>>AM3+ >>>C32>>>FM1>>>G34>>>AM4?...which I note is a much more elegant solution.

I'd better catch up on my night classes in readiness of BD and SB-E forum wars. Monday is "Directing Sarcasm at Totally Humourless People" and Wednesday is "How to Simulate the Appearance of Caring"

:haha::haha: +11 ( a-la spinal tap..."that comment goes to 11")

Ooooo! I just signed up for "Yes...but one of us is kidding 101" 3 credits, should come in handy!

Quick question here in regards to this processor, is 8 cores really needed? How many cores do the high tech industry gunning for, will there ever be a ceiling limit as to how many cores they can throw inside such a small chip? I mean a long time ago I was running a pretty hot and smoking AMD Athlon 64 (6000+) @ 3.2 Gig's, it was a dual core and that did the trick. 1 core, 2 cores, 4 cores, 8 cores how much is to much?

well is there such a thing as too productive? Industrial light an Magic have projects that will render for weeks and months, and they have some of the most powerful computers in private industry. I am sure they would like to halve that time a few times. I have six cores in my personal computer and I have projects I would like done faster ie ....Photoshop,3DSMax, ID5, Video editing ETC.I am sure that the folks in the medical field and mapping the human genome wouldn't mind 'as fast as possible' either. You will notice that millions of people are still folding at home. I don't think the beneficiaries of all that folding think there is a 'too many cores' either. I guess if your happy with a x2 64 6000+ then thats enough for you.
...however if you are like me and put instant coffee in the microwave and yell at it to "hurry up"....then bring on more cores:D

Quick question here in regards to this processor, is 8 cores really needed?
If you use a lot of heavily threaded the programs then yes. Future applications will undoubtably be more so.

How many cores do the high tech industry gunning for, will there ever be a ceiling limit as to how many cores they can throw inside such a small chip? I mean a long time ago I was running a pretty hot and smoking AMD Athlon 64 (6000+) @ 3.2 Gig's, it was a dual core and that did the trick. 1 core, 2 cores, 4 cores, 8 cores how much is to much?
How many are they gunning for? As many as they can squeeze in. Adding cores usually adds more performance than raising clockspeed (not to mention keeping temps/power draw down)...and some people will always find a way to use extra cores- although I'll hazard a guess and say gaming has the opportunity to shine if games are coded for it. (BTW the video is running at real time- not a pre-rendered scene)

I should have taken the hint..."Zen" , of course!

Dammit!..my Friday night class on "Conveying the Benefits of a Parallel Programming in the Haiku Form" doesn't start until next week.

well is there such a thing as too productive? Industrial light an Magic have projects that will render for weeks and months, and they have some of the most powerful computers in private industry. I am sure they would like to halve that time a few times. I have six cores in my personal computer and I have projects I would like done faster ie ....Photoshop,3DSMax, ID5, Video editing ETC.I am sure that the folks in the medical field and mapping the human genome wouldn't mind 'as fast as possible' either. You will notice that millions of people are still folding at home. I don't think the beneficiaries of all that folding think there is a 'too many cores' either. I guess if your happy with a x2 64 6000+ then thats enough for you.
...however if you are like me and put instant coffee in the microwave and yell at it to "hurry up"....then bring on more cores:D

Maybe windows 8 will be cool enough to use 8 cores simultaneously for all software and cause 1.6ghz faster than a 4-6 core 3ghz+. Wishful thinking but my heads are in the clouds.

I should have taken the hint..."Zen" , of course!

Dammit!..my Friday night class on "Conveying the Benefits of a Parallel Programming in the Haiku Form" doesn't start until next week.

Let's see ..that would be using the 'H-575' CPU?

I wonder if tech haiku would give me cross-credit in my Head Chef's Sensitivity Training diploma?....hopefully so, I've been stuck on 0 credits for the last twenty-five years.

Back