Emachine t2825

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i am new to working on comps but i like to mess around with stuff. My question is i have a emachine t2825 and i would like to know if it would be worth upgrading? i was thinking starting with a new motherboard then a new processor. is this a good or bad idea?

Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD. sorry i cant stress that enough, as eMachines are junk right out of the box, cheap compenents, cheap constuction, cheap labor. do yourself a favor and dave up enough money to biuld yourself a nice quality home-made rig, that will last ya for a while.

AMD

so there is really nothing i could do to it for now and then later on when i have the money to build my own use those new components i got for it?

ok so i was thinking about it and i came up with a parts list would somone that knows more look through it and see how it looks.

Power supply- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341001 120

Hard drive- one from old comp 120 gig.

Drives- both also from existing comp.

Motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131013 139.99

Processor- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103735 130.99

Ram- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566 125

Video card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814141026 145

Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156062 90

This is a bad machine that has a 60 percent chance of a motherboard failure within one to three years of when it was new.
I would immeditely replace the power supply with a known QUALITY supply such as an Antec, Coolermaster, Silencer, Sparkle, FPS, etc. Not a cheapo. There is some evidence that some model failures are caused by the power supply. Our work here shows it is nearly always a motherboard shorting out, the Southbridge pulling out, or a multiple Capacitor failure on eMachines models
Then begin working on selling it as is and getting a HomeBuilt, Dell, Gateway, or HP. Avoid Sony, Avoid Compaq, Avoid other eMachines... and do not get the bottom of the line for any of them.
We consider this urgent, as the failure rates are astonishingly high on 14 models and unacceptabley high on nine other eMachine models.

for AMD': Have u ever actually owned an E-machine? I have owned 3 an am still using 2 of them...last purchased 2 yrs ago. Like any rig if you take care of it it will be fine. Are they perfect, no, what rig is?

For Mxer: my T3265 uses the same motherboard as your T2825 the best CPU you can run in it is a Athlon XP 3200+ like i have... IF you can find one it'll run ya 'round $200 US.
That being said your list will perform much better as its mostly new gear. You will be better off in the long run building the machine you have in your list than upgrading the T2825....plus getting the new parts will be alot easier.

X out.

E-machine T3265
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1GB PC2700
160GB OEM HDD
PNY Verto 6600GT 128MB w/ Zalman VF700 cooler
Aspire 500w PSU w/ dual 12v....yes...the original still works

This is simply not true for 14 of the eMachines models. We have 220 in our warehouse awaiting a possible class action suit. The motherboard in the T-2825 is bad. Fails. Dead.
Your model is much later. I suspect if you look at the part number and other number on the edge of the board, you would find it is the same design but a later version of the board where they fixed the shorting problems. The T3265 is not on our failed list. Yet.
The replacement upgrade mentioned will almost certainly speed the destruction.
Put the $200 into a new rig. Run from the eMachine if your warranty has expired. Otherwise try to extend the warranty. A 50 % failure rate is just not known in any other computer except the Packard Bell.

well i have had this comp for 3 years if it would have failed wouldnt it of already happened? not saying it is a good comp because i know its not.

No matter. Only half of them are bad. Good luck on it and your computer travels.
By the way, we own four eMachines for our businesses. It is only those 14 models that have the motherboards fail.... that is out of 279 total models.. many of which have severe power supply problems.
eMachines will get better under Gateway management.

ray bay but do u think i should try an attempt at building a comp or just buy a new one? and if you think building one is a good idea how to the components on the list i have above look.

Man all the hate........ my poor little emachines.

Now seriously, I only provide MY insight based on MY experience. I have a 366i which is just ancient fodder but never failed when in use , a T4165 which is still in use with ALL original components except the vid card which was upgraded from 32MB TNT2 to 64MB GF4 MX 440, and the one I use the aforementioned T3265 which has upgraded VID + PSU due to the vid card. RUns great never reformatted in 2+ yrs. SO I guess I'm the only person on the planet who aint got a prob with e-machines....

Maybe u missed the part where I said Build from the parts he had listed would be a BETTER option than upgrade his CPU.

oh yeah i had a Packard Bell once too.....and yes it was crap.

mxer108 said:
Ok i am new to working on comps but i like to mess around with stuff. My question is i have a emachine t2825 and i would like to know if it would be worth upgrading? i was thinking starting with a new motherboard then a new processor. is this a good or bad idea?
I say it's a good idea. I have a T2080, and for 220$ I upgraded it to AM2 (with a Sempron64 OCed to 2.16GHz - this baby does a 41sec super-pi 1M run !!! ), PCIe x16, and DDR2 (currently using DDR2 533, dual-channel 512MB [2x256MB]). Oh, and a quality 400W Forton powersupply.

I ripped off all the emachines stickers/logos/etc. and stuck the [Oh Great And Mighty] AMD Sempron64 sticker dead-smack in the middle of the tower. Even plan on making a side window, should cost next to nothing. Add in a good gfx card for 100$..... And....... You have a sexy lan-party qualified emachines for no more than 300$!

XUSN96: The 366i was a good machine, as were most of the i series up to 766i.
The T-4165 is not on the motherboard list. The T-3265 is.
Not all eMachines are bad. Some are good.
There are 279 eMachines models. Only 14 models have the failing motherboard, as far as we know. Nine more have bad power supplies, perhaps. That is still under investigation.
Not all of the bad 14 are bad... but nearly 50% do fail within year one and year three... usually within 15 to 18 months. Of the 14, two are W-XXXX and the other 12 are T-xxxx.
This project was only begun in August, so we still are accumulating data. from various parts of the country.
We do know the motherboard failures, as they have been disassembled by experts with hight tech equipment for the analysis.
If yours is good, more power to you.
Our only reason for posting to this list was to suggest people not spent the $40 to $70 for a power supply, only to find that power supply changed nothing due to the failed motherboard... and that their money could perhaps be better spent on a better machine, or a better motherboard...

We have been in the computer service and repair business since May, 1986. We would not call the Dells bad as a group, although they had bad motherboards in the 2200, 2250, 2300, and 2350. Where we have seen hugh failures has been in an enormous number of Sony VAIOs both desktop and laptops, low end HP's, low end Compaqs, and a very few of the recent Gateway desktops.
Laptops: All eMachine laptops; most Compaq laptops, Most Acer, and most Sony VAIO laptops have very early and expensive failures. Certain Dell Inspiron laptops have high failures. IBM
The good laptops are most IBM Thinkpads, most upper end HP, most Dell Latitudes, most upper end Compaq Presarios, and most upper end Dell Inspirons.
Most laptop failures are due to bad to very bad cooling systems, bad to terrible inverters for the LCD screens, and poorly designed fan and air circulation. Certain Hard drives have high failure rates, such as the Hitachi and IBM Travelstar. Others are superb such as Western Digital, Fujitsu, Samsung, and Seagate Momentus.
It is time to begin posting the bad models to some sort of list where people can learn about their potential "investment."

Um, i don't know about anyone else, but I have not seen any post in this thread asking about laptop failure rates????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back