LGA 1150 i7-4790 vs LGA 1155 Xeon e3 1270-v3

Hunter H

I have a question. I understand that the Xeon is a generation older than the i7 but being as they have very similar clock speeds, would an upgrade to a prebuilt motherboard and the i7-4790 processor be worth it? It could be done for around 50 bucks.

Intel site says both are Haswell architecture parts. And differences are minimal. Not worth it for even 5 bucks, even less for 50.

Intel site says both are Haswell architecture parts. And differences are minimal. Not worth it for even 5 bucks, even less for 50.
Of course I miss typed the xeon. I meant to put it as a "v2" which has the previous architecture. Does the misspelling change your opinion on whether its worth it or not?

Of course I miss typed the xeon. I meant to put it as a "v2" which has the previous architecture. Does the misspelling change your opinion on whether its worth it or not?
We are talking about single digit or very low double digit performance increase without heavy use of AVX instructions on same clock speed. Since both have very similar clock speeds, performance difference is around that.

For 50 bucks and assuming there is some work involved too, I don't think that's worth it. Better to invest on something else.

We are talking about single digit or very low double digit performance increase without heavy use of AVX instructions on same clock speed. Since both have very similar clock speeds, performance difference is around that.

For 50 bucks and assuming there is some work involved too, I don't think that's worth it. Better to invest on something else.
So can I generally assume processor clock speed determines performance difference?

So can I generally assume processor clock speed determines performance difference?
Combination of architecture and clock speed. Architecture in this case makes around 5-10% (depending on software) and clock speed difference is like 2-3% so basically you would have difficulty noticing difference between those.

And resolution/settings if you are talking games; the size of the gap between a 2008 i7 and a 2022 i7 narrows massively as you put more work on the GPU for example.

Back