Emachine t3120 wont power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
im frustrated ... i have an emachine t3120 and i turn it on and the light comes on in the front, cd rom lights come on, fans are turning on the inside, but it will not power up ... the hard drive doesnt spin at all.. tried putting another hard drive and still NOTHING. Can anyone advise me? ive dumped the Cosmos - i've added ram, ive removed ram, i dont know what else to try. started a few days ago when i would reboot after installing something, i wouldnt load ... i'd turn it off then back on and it would be ok .. now it wont load at all. help!! this is my 2nd emachine in 3 years ... im a glutton for punishment huh?

There are 27 eMachine motherboards that were made under license from other manufacturers. These have a very high record of failure of the motherboards. It is the motherboard failure that causes the power supply to fail in these 27 models.
Once the board goes, there is no hope. The replacement board costs $159.95 from eMachines, and they are out of stock... which will not be replaced, apparently.
The case, cpu, cpu fan, modem, hard drive, and memory are still good, but you have likely lost your data if you don't have a replacement motherboard... unless you install the hard drive as a slave in another computer, or in a USB external enclosure where you can drag and drop or use recovery software to recover the data.
We don't know of any boards still available that will still allow a recovery or a repair... but you can use an ASrock or PCChips, and a new Windows XP install.

where do i read that at? im wondering if they say its the power supply, why does it act like its going to start up, lights on, fans going, but hard drive not engaging?

In what part of the World are you located? Just about any ATX 450 watt or better will do. Something around $35 is fine

Don't waste your time. It is almost never the power supply. The motherboard is bad and ruins the power supply.
I will almost bet money that your power supply doesn't help.
The good thing is that a quality power supply will work if the board is not one of the many failed ones, and can be used in another machine later... but you can also use any used one to test.

While I don't dispute your findings Raybay, I came across some old repair invoices where the eMachines owner replaced the power supply early in the ownership, and the computer ran for over 5 years. Other eMachines failed both motherboard and power supply after only 1 year. These were all T-Series eMachines. I just repaired a T-3624. It had a bad Bestec power supply. The motherboard was fine...

ok ....so if the fans are coming on, and the cd roms light up, does that mean the power supply is good? does the motherboard need to be changed? I just dont want to buy parts i really dont need .... and please keep the SMART comments to yourself, not EVERYONE knows alot about computers .. HENCE THE reason for asking .....

From what you just mentioned, I would say that it is the motherboard. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the power supply too

I would be delighted to hear back from the person who replaces the power supply.
My guess is that it will not work to make his eMachine usable. Of course there are occasions when a power supply fails.
But the exact same failed power supply in the eMachine was also used in many HP, Compaq, and Gateway models with no such failures.
We now have receipts numbers, serial numbers, and the works on well over 1000 eMachines. We have a huge number in my uncle's barn, after detailed exam and Xray..
eMachines knew there was a problem with the motherboard. eMachines has no replacement parts. eMachines made no effort to tell its customers or warn them about the loss of data.
When this action is finished, it will be the largest corporate failure where desktops and laptops are concerned... even bigger than Packard Bell.
At this time, eMachines is trying to find a buyer in a foreign country.
Until just three months ago, they were the third largest seller in the world. And they are first in total failures.
Now they are offering a two year warranty instead of a one year one. But you have to pay for it.
Why anybody defends them is beyond me.

"At this time, eMachines is trying to find a buyer in a foreign country"...

Doesn't Gateway own eMachines now?

Yes, but they are trying desparately to sell... and are talking seriously to asian and Balkans buyers. eMachines, once owned by Tri-Gem, was a big mistake even though the owner of Tri-Gem put a lot of money into Gateway.

Gateway needs to be a US company. Tri-Gem needs to clean up its act... with poorly build motherboards, hard drives, and other components built under license.

Dell's moving into Wal-Mart sales screwed up the eMachine plan to sell through Wal-Mart, Costco, Office Depot, Best Buy and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back