Emergency Help Computer Keeps Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAILLIBOYZ

My computer keeps restarting it self at random times for some odd reason it does it at random but it especially does it when I open programs like PhotoshopCS2, Cubase or certain pictures or video but it will just do it at random times please help. EDIT Also im trying to back up my data in Nero and it restarts everytime with that I did a virus can and nothing is popping up.

Could be multiple things causing this, I.E. Thermal Issues, Faulty CPU, Faulty RAM, your best bet would be to boot into safe mode (f8 on boot then choose safe mode) See if it loads up there, If it loads up fine and works in there it is more that likely a software issue, you can attempt to backup your data in safe mode if it works and then do a format and reinstall, let us know how you get on.

It could also be an unstable or marginal power supply that's on its way out.

Now here is the thing when I boot up the computer and press ALT F8 and the boot menu loads up there is no option to load in Safe Mode THIS IS THE SCREEN IT GOES TO WHEN I HIT f8

noname.jpg

And either one I click and press enter it just loads the normal way

That screen is brought up by your BIOS and is not the correct one.

When you see the above screen, choose your "Hard Disk", press ENTER and immediately tap the F8 key repeatedly... Now you should see the Safe Mode menu. :)

AlanH said:
Could be multiple things causing this, I.E. Thermal Issues, Faulty CPU, Faulty RAM, your best bet would be to boot into safe mode (f8 on boot then choose safe mode) See if it loads up there, If it loads up fine and works in there it is more that likely a software issue, you can attempt to backup your data in safe mode if it works and then do a format and reinstall, let us know how you get on.

When I got it in Safe Mode it didnt seem to restart in NERO when I tryed burning a DVD so im not sure.

Turn off Automatically Restart though System Properties - Advanced - under Startup and Recovery: SETTINGS, so the next time through a normal start-up your PC will Blue Screen rather than restart. Note what it says and whether a .sys file of sorts is causing it.

Hmm ... If you can boot in Safe Mode and work OK, to me that rules out hardware for the moment. When you boot up normally your PC just restarts for no apparent reason (even with the above mentioned option removed)? Normally you would receive a BSOD of some sort, unless it is a PSU or heating problem perhaps, but your PC would switch off completely rather than restart.

The problem happens when you are doing random things or one thing in particular?

Try going in to msconfig (START - RUN - type: msconfig (hit ENTER)) and under the boot.ini tab select the /SOS checkbox. Restart and monitor during normal startup whether your PC hangs on a particular system file.

Let us know how you go :grinthumb

It does it at random times but I notice it does it alot with PhotshopCS2, Cubase, Nero and opening up pictures, videos, and songs

It could be faulty RAM as those apps require a fair amount of memory to run and/or open, but you really should get a BSOD when it crashes.
If you haven't already, do a memory test or better yet, download and install this free trial version of Burn-in-Test (great program). It may be able to pin-point your problem.

http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

Hmm ... faulty hardware of sorts perhaps?

How much RAM do you have installed? 2x 512mb or 2x1GB or whatever? Try taking one out, load Win as normal and run the program again.

Narrow it down to one possible cause. The program will touch on CPU, RAM, Video card, Sound, etc. so one of these things is causing your problems.

Cool program eh? :)

SYSTEM
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Intel Core 2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.00 GB Of Ram

DAILLIBOYZ said:
SYSTEM
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Intel Core 2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.00 GB Of Ram

OK ... start with RAM I'd say. Take out a stick and run the program again. If it restarts again, swap the RAM with the other RAM and run it again. If it happens again, swap RAM slots, if it happens again, its not RAM!
Do this for removable hardware in your PC. Lets hope its not your CPU!
Do you have a PCI, PCI-E or AGP slot Video card?

Figure it out mate, I think you have a hardware problem and the only way to be sure is to play around with the insides of your PC!
If you aren't confident enough, take it to a professional :grinthumb

Alright.. for memtest instructions follow the link in my signature. Use another PC to burn the bootable CD or create the floppy if you have trouble with doing it on your's

Navigate to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and post 5 of the most recent ones here as attachments.

Go back to msconfig and in the first page you're presented in, choose Diagnostic Startup. Reboot and see whether your pc is much more stable now. Nero won't work in safe mode because some of its components are not loaded. Diagnostic mode should do the trick for nero, but if it doesn't, go to the Services or startup tabs and tick any entries relating to Nero or Ahead.

To open your PC simply unplug it from the wall outlet and go to the back of the tower. You should see four or six screws on the edges of the back, holding the side cover in place, and the 2 on the right side should let you have access to your insides once you slide it off. If its a one piece cover, then undo all of the edge screws and all you need to do is simply slide the case off.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/remove-case-covers.htm

While you have your PC opened, take this opportunity to clean it out of any dust buildup with a compressed air source and inspect for any sort of damage like burns and capacitor damage..

Alright.. for memtest instructions follow the link in my signature. Use another PC to burn the bootable CD or create the floppy if you have trouble with doing it on your's

Navigate to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and post 5 of the most recent ones here as attachments.

Go back to msconfig and in the first page you're presented in, choose Diagnostic Startup. Reboot and see whether your pc is much more stable now. Nero won't work in safe mode because some of its components are not loaded. Diagnostic mode should do the trick for nero, but if it doesn't, go to the Services or startup tabs and tick any entries relating to Nero or Ahead.

To open your PC simply unplug it from the wall outlet and go to the back of the tower. You should see four or six screws on the edges of the back, holding the side cover in place, and the 2 on the right side should let you have access to your insides once you slide it off. If its a one piece cover, then undo all of the edge screws and all you need to do is simply slide the case off.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading...ase-covers.htm

While you have your PC opened, take this opportunity to clean it out of any dust buildup with a compressed air source and inspect for any sort of damage like burns and capacitor damage..

If that fails you are probobly looking at a reinstall of windows.

Try a format and reinstall of windows, If that fails your looking at possible thermal issue, have you overclocked anything?

Im really not sure I purchased this computer from a friend it was custom built I also hear it could be a power supply issue how would I test that?

With the burnin test software I asked you to install (and made your PC go nuts when you ran it!), configure it to check on one thing at a time.
One or more hardware components is causing your grief so run it for RAM, then Video, then CPU, etc.

Post back with how you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back