Employers ask job seekers for Facebook login information

Leeky

Those hunting for jobs are increasingly finding themselves being judged by their profiles on sites like Facebook and Twitter, as employers delve deeper into the publicly accessible information people store online.

For most people, just searching your name on Google usually turns up a treasure trove of potential data, ranging from profiles of websites online, to information about your activities and in some cases details about last week’s antics. While that’s not true of everyone, the vast majority of people do little to secure their personal lives from the public domain, which is certainly not helped by overly complicated privacy settings on social networking sites like Facebook.

It is becoming a common practice for employers to review publically available Facebook profiles during interviews. For Justin Basset, a New York-based Statistician, it went further than that, CBS News reports.

Having gone through the normal formalities during the interview, his interviewer then turned to her computer to search for his Facebook page. Upon realizing the applicant's profile was private, she then asked a stunned Bassett for his login information. He refused, and immediately withdrew his application on the grounds that he wouldn’t work for an employer that would seek such personal information.

"It's akin to requiring someone's house keys," said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor and former Federal prosecutor who labeled it "an egregious privacy violation."

The situation is similar to that of Robert Collins of Baltimore who was asked for his Facebook password while being interviewed last year when returning to his position as a security guard for the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services after a leave of absence. During his interview he was asked for his login information for Facebook so the interviewer could check for possible gang affiliations. Despite being shocked at such a request, he complied, stating that he needed the job to provide for his family and felt he had no choice.

Facebook responded with a brief statement, declaring that the site forbids "anyone from soliciting the login information or accessing an account belonging to someone else." The statement is in reference to section four, point eight of Facebook’s terms of service which reads, "you will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account."

Further to this, according to the report by CBS, the Department of Justice also considers it to be a Federal crime to enter a social networking site in violation of its terms of service, although during a recent congressional testimony, the DOJ said such acts would go unprosecuted.

It is understandable that employers turn to publicly available information in a bid to gain further knowledge about the suitability of applicants, but requesting access to private information beyond what is publicly visible is without a doubt in violation of a person’s rights to privacy. Though it appears these "voluntary" requests are being granted by those desperate to find work despite feeling uneasy about it.

With that in mind, what would you say, and how would you feel if you were asked during an interview?

Permalink to story.

If a friend asks for my facebook profile i would say no, if i went to an interview and the interviewer asked me for my facebook profile i would also say no, and then question why they "required" my facebook login in the first place?

Company's have been employing people since the word Business was invented, i'm 100% certain facebook is NOT needed in an interview.

Why would company's want to rely on facebook anyway? I could create a new account geared specifically towards a certain job i want and when they ask i can give them those login details?

But then they have a false sense of me? come on, how about we keep the computers out of interviews and base everything on what you actually can see and speak to in the real world?

Just deleted my Facebook account. It is the biggest waste of time of my life. What a ridiculous endeavor.

The fact that they ask for such information is reprehensible.

I would respond that it would be against Facebook's Terms of Service to share my password.

Would you let them login to your bank account?

Would you let them login to your personal email account?

So, to clarify;
It is in violation of Facebook T&Cs
It is against US law
It is morally repugnant
It is a violation of privacy

Of course, refusal to provide such information may be considered in a bad light in a job interview regardless of their legal standing to request it.

My recommendation, do what Justin Bassett did and withdraw your application unless you're in desperate need of a job, then things get tricky...
Best thing to do, if you are applying to a company who you suspect might do this, put your profile on full hidden mode (i.e. people can't find you, you have to find them) and tell them you don't have a facebook account. Be careful with this however as many employers are likely to have already had a look for it earlier in the application process.

How can people not grow tired of Facebook? I don't whether or not you are making peanut butter and jam sandwiches; I just don't care.

Nope.

Don't care.

F0ck facebook.

If asked for the password to my facebook (or any other) account I would reply that it's impossible to do so on the grounds that once I give up my password, for all intents and purposes the account is no longer mine.

What is next?

"I need have access to your online bank accounts to see how you spend your money and if you are debt"

Guest said:
Just deleted my Facebook account. It is the biggest waste of time of my life. What a ridiculous endeavor.
Guest said:
I deleted my Facebook in December, glad I did.
Yawn...

No one cares if you have an account, never had an account or had an account but don't have one now...

So called "social networking" is just a huge scam to get the mindless to share their personal and marketing data so that the likes of zuckerberg can sell it on and make huge profits... it's a scourge and a great example of how every bit of good technology can be turned into something, crude, puerile and essentially worthless.

The fact is that you got suckered, you registered an account and now they have your data (whether you "delete" it or not).

I think some people need to realise that posting your real identity online is an exceptionally dumb thing to do.

p.s. Some of us never visited that site or anything like it in the first place...

Although it is wrong of them to ask for that guys FB password, its not uncommon for an employer to research a prospective canidate in all AVAILABLE channels. If your information is out there on the web, its a mostly public media. No more or less morally repugnant then a employer looking at your credit score. Not very polite of them but its understandable when you look at how many ppl lie to just get a job. They want to make sure you are going to be around and not rob them blind lol.

Better start creating an alternative account then... make it look like you actually do all the hobbies and interests listed on your CV

This absolutely happens, all the time, for any and all jobs that involve a clearance or other extensive background check.

If you're in a good deal of debt, or have a bad credit rating, you're not going to be employed in a sensitive position.

Just another reason why I have never used Facebook.

Maybe Justin should have asked for the interviewers information so he could decide if this company was good enough for him to work at.

Uh, feel stupid... never had a Facebook account (who would want to look at my ugly mug) ... or a Twitter (always thought twitters were for twits) ... spend my time doing something more productive (well, at least always AS productive) like this posting...

I doubt this is a real story. But for lets just say that it did infact happen. Upon asking for your facebook info, just ask them for their details as well. See their reaction.

<--- No facebook, Myspace, etc etc etc. And I am a MCP Technician.
I always get asked why I don't have a facebook account.
Ummm because I am not a saint and I don't want people knowing what I do.

Facebook swings both ways, and its damaging careers of good people.

My password would not even give them access to my account. If you actually use facebook's security measures, you can prevent them from gaining access with or without your password. They would also need my cellphone, my cellphone password, and my text message encryption passphrase in order to actually access my facebook account. Good luck with that!

That said, if I were asked to provide my facebook username and password in an interview, I would respond by saying "You are asking me to knowingly and willfully commit a federal crime - I refuse to comply. If any interviewees complied with this request, you and your company could be charged as well for being an accessory to the crime. If this is held against me in any way, my lawyer will become involved."

Wow thats pretty out there, what about asking for the applicants cellphone to look at the call log, txt messages and pictures taken? It's just the next logical step!

Imagine you tell the interviewer "sure show me yours and I'll show you mine" :p

What's next?

Those hunting for jobs are increasingly finding themselves being judged by their profiles on sites like Facebook and Twitter, as employers delve deeper into the publicly accessible information people store…

Read the whole story

As if NYPD wasn't enough :rolleyes:

Wow thats pretty out there, what about asking for the applicants cellphone to look at the call log, txt messages and pictures taken? It's just the next logical step!

Imagine you tell the interviewer "sure show me yours and I'll show you mine" :p

If you could do that :p

My password would not even give them access to my account. If you actually use facebook's security measures, you can prevent them from gaining access with or without your password. They would also need my cellphone, my cellphone password, and my text message encryption passphrase in order to actually access my facebook account. Good luck with that!

That said, if I were asked to provide my facebook username and password in an interview, I would respond by saying "You are asking me to knowingly and willfully commit a federal crime - I refuse to comply. If any interviewees complied with this request, you and your company could be charged as well for being an accessory to the crime. If this is held against me in any way, my lawyer will become involved."

Well said!
BTW, what's that "txt message passphrase" you're talking about? I haven't noticed that option as of 21/3/2012.
But that would be a bit paranoid in practical purpose, IMHO. Still, with our beloved governments extremely intrigued by its citizens' private lives, nothing feels enough nowadays.

No company should be allowed to ask anything like that. Only thing they should be legally allowed to obtain is whats in your credit file or publicly available.

BUT...If an interviewer was to ask for something like that....

Play it smart...Say you don't use facebook...They then say why does it show you here...Be like I don't know...must of made one years ago...don't have access to it anymore. Then you can decide if you want to work at a company like that....but if you say no...You just lost the job. Sometimes you have to tell them what they want to hear..I have a friend that says 100% whats on her mind and never bends the truth..And she has a real hard time getting any job and they run all over her...You have to have some jobs smarts to get anywhere now a days.

BUT...If an interviewer was to ask for something like that....

Play it smart...Say you don't use facebook...They then say why does it show you here...Be like I don't know...must of made one years ago...don't have access to it anymore. Then you can decide if you want to work at a company like that....but if you say no...You just lost the job. Sometimes you have to tell them what they want to hear..I have a friend that says 100% whats on her mind and never bends the truth..And she has a real hard time getting any job and they run all over her...You have to have some jobs smarts to get anywhere now a days.

That, or...
I was asked,
"Why should we give you this job?"
I answered,
"Why not?"
I was replied with a smile,
"You're hired."
Don't necessarily have to be cautious or dodgy. :cool:

But one for all, asking something like that would be "trespassing on privacy" IMO. Not that we have much of it now.

Hey, why don't I just forward my email to my employer along with the PIN number for my back account.
Screw this...I wouldn't work for anyone that had this much control.

Back