TechSpot

Engineers arrested for selling sample CPUs on eBay

By Shawn Knight
Jan 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Update: The engineers who were arrested did not work for Intel, as the story originally suggested.

Read the whole story

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,909   +716

~500 ES's out of Taiwan ? Seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands that pour out of mainland China every year.

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

Taiwan cares more though.

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

Benches or it didn't happen!

5. I am sorry but I don't buy it. So the story goes like this: you are an engineer for a highly regarded company (intel). Then what is your next best move? steal some chips in order to sell them like a common criminal? Anyway you are able to steal 200 or so chips and over 500 over a period of 2-3 years? this is unbelievable - intel must have made cuts in the security department.
    They don't give engineer diploma to everyone and if they did I know that intel would have known better than to hire shady individuals with a worthless engineer diploma.

6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,909   +716

I doubt that ES's are handed over in that manner. Intel would send out hundreds (if not more) of samples to each OEM, motherboard manufacturer and other hardware and software companies for validation and debugging. No doubt many are "tested to destruction" with repeated on/off cycles of voltage and heat and stress testing of components...probably safe to say that these some of these supposedly worthless CPU's then find their way into the marketplace. The CPU's aren't going missing from Intel, they are being appropriated from the companies that Intel sends these engineering samples to.

7. @guest - You need to read a little more carefully. Nowhere did the article say the engineers worked for Intel. They were engineers at an "OEM plant" - think of all the notebooks and desktops that are designed and manufactured in TW....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.