hi,
computer info:
Dell Optiplex GX520
Intel Pentium 4
CPU 3 Ghz
motherboard: Dell.inc. OH8052

Problem:
when shutting down my computer a message window appears with the following:

the instruction at " 0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000" the memory could not be "read"
click OK to terminate the program or click cancel to debug

the computer then freezes which ever option I choose and I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to force a shut down.
rebooting is normal,desktop loads but none of the icons in the quick launch task bar are functional. I have also noticed that the 'start'button changes from dark to light green each time I try and launch a program, then the freeze-up happens.
Safe mode boot up has a similar effect and a forced shut down is required.
avg,mbam and super anti spyware fullscans found no malware or spyware.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
drumma.

hi,
computer info:
Dell Optiplex GX520
Intel Pentium 4
CPU 3 Ghz
motherboard: Dell.inc. OH8052

Problem:
when shutting down my computer a message window appears with the following:

the instruction at " 0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000" the memory could not be "read"
click OK to terminate the program or click cancel to debug

the computer then freezes which ever option I choose and I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to force a shut down.
rebooting is normal,desktop loads but none of the icons in the quick launch task bar are functional. I have also noticed that the 'start'button changes from dark to light green each time I try and launch a program, then the freeze-up happens.
Safe mode boot up has a similar effect and a forced shut down is required.
avg,mbam and super anti spyware fullscans found no malware or spyware.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
drumma.

*REMOVED CF ADVICE ~DMJ*

Take your time and follow the instructions carefully

Hi and thanks for the replies. Sorry I haven't responded sooner but the dreaded flu bug has kept me in bed for a few days. Feeling better now though.

@ Tmagic650:

ComboFix asked me to disable AVG real time, I wasn't sure how to do that so decided to uninstall the program and reinstall after ComboFix had finished.
I have saved a copy of the ComboFix report but do not know how to attach it to this post.... sorry...more help needed !

drumma.

@ Tmagic650

Thank you for your help, I have learned so much since joining TechSpot !
I am now using MSE and Super Anti Spyware in place of AVG.
I have also ditched CCleaner and SpyWare Blaster, updated to IE 8 and also Firefox beta 12, I have used FF without problems for a few versions now and will continue with that as my default browser.
So I will continue educating myself via the TS forums and wait for someone to invent a PC that can make coffee and sandwiches and all will be right with my world !

Best wishes,

Terry ( drumma)

Back