Error: system restore was unsuccessful

Status
Not open for further replies.
For various reasons (that I can fill in if necessary) I am now trying to do system restore, but no matter how far back I go, it says that the system restore was unsuccessful and to fix another restore point. I tried every restore point there was, and not one of them went through! Somebody please help! :( A couple months ago my computer was invaded by some sort of Trojan virus, but I currently have Norton which seems to have resolved the problem. (Or has it?) Is there any way to fix this problem so that I can restore my computer to an earlier date? I would really appreciate any help I can get!

I'll let those who can answer the system restore question do so. But your question if Norton has resolved the problem is a valid one.

Do the following:

1. Go online and look for ESET's NOD32 free online scanner. Let it load their ActiveX (it is safe) and scan. Did it find anything?

2. Run ChkDsk (just as I spelled it) in your Run box found in your Start Menu. It runs 3 steps and is fairly quick. When it gets to Step 2 let us know if says it is recovering lost files.

3. There is a strong chance that your infections are deeper than realized. After steps 1 and 2 above let us know the results here. Then go to TechSpot's Virus & Malware removal forum. Read all three stickies by Julio at the top of that forum, follow the directions carefully and post there.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I would love to follow what you recommend but...there's a hitch. See, when I was doing disk cleanup (which I'll NEVER do again) I somehow inadvertently uninstalled some essential feature of Internet Explorer. I have tried reinstalling IE, but it will not reinstall properly, which is why I need to fix my system restore. The ESET NOD32 free online scanner must use Windows Internet Explorer, so I'm officially at a dead end with that option. Do you have another scanner you would recommend?

**update from that point*

I ran ChkDsk like you said, and the results did NOT say recovering lost files. Step 1 said "Verifying indexes," and step 2 and 3 said: "Verifying files." Does that tell you something it doesn't tell me? (I'm pretty clueless on this stuff. :p)

1. SR is corupted and will not fix.I have said this many times when SR works it works beautifly but it seems when most needed it either don't work at all or finds no restore point, or if found cannot restore.

So this don't happen again get
ERUNT
Add a redundent Reg backup, get and install ERUNT let it add itself to startup and do a backup on install check all boxes.

ERUNT http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
Yes! Even if you use system restore and other backups Registry and Images.

2.For browsing until IE fixed get one or more of these on the effected machine.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post724502-7.html

3. Then do the below before trying to fix IE I will help you with that later.
Do the TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Skip no steps (do not install another virus scanner if you already have one, ask me before installing a Firewall).

Most importantly update MalwareBytes (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)!

Before you scan with either MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyWare do the Extra Configs below these have become most important lately

SuperAntispyware extra config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

Update the program definitions.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure all boxes are checked except #3 Ignore System Restore.. are checked:

MalwareBytes extra config

After update but before running
Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

Run them and attach their logs.

Mike.

Route44: no, I unfortunately do not have my OS disc. *sigh* I'll try the link. *sighs again* Sometimes I wonder if computers are really worth the head-ache. I'm considering doing a Yosemite Sam on mine right now. :p

mflynn, thank you for the advice, I will try that and get back to you. :)

Go with mflynn's advice first. He is active in the Virus and Malware forum and has a lot of experience, as well as others, and he/they will help you through the process of making sure you are truly free of infections.

Concentrate on what he advises and then if you still have issues we'll take it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back