I Need Another Web Browser - Suggestions Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smell the Glove

Firefox 3 keeps crashing.

Firefox 2.0.0.20 keeps crashing.

I've never liked IE.

So what alternatives would you guys recommend and why?

Thanks

Well both Firefox and IE don't crash ever, unless you have a fault (Virus\Malware System files corruption... who knows)
Best to diagnose and fix the fault rather than install yet another program

For lots of features without extensions needed and a small size the clear winner is Opera. Get a custom urlfilter.ini (google for one) to block ads and you are set.

If you want just a minimalist browser that works decent, Google Chrome.

never had FF crash. Sometimes they eat a lot of memory - especially FF 2.0, but 3.0 has improved on this. There's tons of alternatives.

Mozilla classic (not firefox) - now called seamonkey, Opera, Safari, ......

The link goes to a thread made October 4th, 2004, the fix was to use the latest version and to create a new profile in Firefox

Wow they fixed your issue 5 years ago!
No need for a new browser now ;)

Alternate Browsers. I like Portable Apps especially Browsers.

Totally self contained, No install other than extracting to a Folder, No registry entries. All Favorites/Bookmark configurations, historys, temps all saved in their own folders.

Originally designed for portable devices such as Flash drives etc they run even better from a HD.

Their folder can just be copied to another drive or computer and be exactly the same. Will not conflict in any way with an installed version (same version older or newer).

A good way to evaluate before installing the Installed version (but who would want too).

I keep them all because my clients use a mixture ot the installed versions and I need them to trouble shoot and try to duplicate their issues.

Also to pinpoint issues with another browser. Have an issue with IE and the same issue exist in all 3 portables. Then it is a Web page problem. Works in the 3 portables but not IE then an IE problem.

Finished with or don't like. Just delete the folder.

And they each have some added or unique features but they all share a few features. They are all faster than IE, less targeted for Malware and basically more stable.

My favorite is portable FireFox which I use as my main browser.

FireFox http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Opera http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm
Chrome http://www.google.com/chrome

Mike

@ mflynn

Portable apps do indeed have advantages over installed ones, especially for cluttered systems like mine. But somehow I was under the impression that fundamental apps, such as browsers, are better installed. So I read with interest your support for portable browsers, and the advantages you mention are numerous and significant.

But, in the interests of fairness and to have the whole picture, I would ask for the possible advantages of installed browsers.

Knowing both sides of the coin will help us make a more knowledgeable decision with increased confidence.

Well most browsers are installed in known locations easy to target!

Add things to the registry and system folders to allow them to be found manipulated.

Other browsers can be installed to different paths but hardly any one does this.

The portables folders can be renamed and they still work.

Portables keep all the privacy files like Temps config and etc out of the normal known temps registry etc.

Mike

I use Google's chrome quite a lot -I like its clean interface - really good for day to day non fancy browsing. Safari is good if you fancy a bite of apple. Opera, especially the latest version, I find to be really fast.

I have dial-up, will Opera or Firefox be faster than Internet Explorer?. My Web browsing is very slow - both connecting to sites and loading up pages. Thx.

I prefer Opera...Runs fine on the old mans 300Mhz, 96MB RAM, Win2K SP4 machine!!

It seems quicker and I like the speed dial feature! Check it out dude!

I haven't jammed Chrome yet...IE has been password protected so it can't be used....I use FF3 though...

I have dial-up, will Opera or Firefox be faster than Internet Explorer?. My Web browsing is very slow - both connecting to sites and loading up pages. Thx.
Opera 10 has an alpha version out called Turbo. Google for it (because I don't have a link offhand) and give that a shot. It does server side compression of images, so at the expense of good quality images (icons, pictures) you get faster load times. It may help if you don't care about fantastic quality on the grapical parts of webpages. So to answer your question, Opera 10 with Turbo should be faster than FF or IE. But its alpha, so you may have unexpected crashes (well IE probably does that for you standard :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back