Error with VLC Player

By gilloz
Dec 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I installed VLC Player as my default player in Ubuntu 8.04. When I click on the VLC to open it, I get an error window that says, "unable to open'512". If I go to Messages in the tool bar of VLC, it says, "No suitable access module for 512". The same thing happens when I install a DVD. Anyone have a clue what this means?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. gilloz

gilloz Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 95

Ok kimsland, I uninstalled VLC completely and then reinstalled it. No difference. I still get that same error. BTW, I try to get as many inputs as I can, as you can tell. The icon was no longer available when I uninstalled it, but out of curiosity I did a Search in System Files and about a dozen items came up with VLC in them. Why were they still there? This time I installed VLC by the Terminal. (sudo get-apt install vlc). A lot of good that did.

Ok, I found my problem. Using a How To instructions for making VLC my default player, it called out to make a change in the VLC properties command line to "vlc 512 %M", when it should have been "vlc %m". Once I made the change, the error message disappeared. Thanks anyway kimsland for your help & support and keen observation of my posts.
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

I've saved the fix info too :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.