TechSpot

EU seeks clarity about PRISM amid rising international concern

By Jesse
Jun 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence, has assured the American public that PRISM doesn’t collect data on U.S. citizens. Assuming it’s the truth, this may placate some of the concerns in the U.S., but what about members of the international...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,088   +716

I wonder why this request for information is so public. You'd think if British Intelligence or French Intelligence etc wanted an answer out of the NSA or CIA they'd call them and ask and we'd never find about it. Considering this is the EU's commissioner for justice and fundamental rights (whatever that is) and they're asking publicly it sort of gives them the same level of credibility as your average newspaper doesn't it? Meaning... they care more about the fact that we're watching the conversation than what's actually being said.

Per Hansson likes this.
  3. This "transparent" Administration cant keep up with their own lies. Let alone what other countries think that are not so quick to accept them.

avoidz likes this.
  4. dms96960

dms96960 TS Enthusiast Posts: 223   +20

Why should anyone believe Clapper when he assures the American public that PRISM doesn?t collect data on U.S. citizens? Didn't Clapper lie under oath to the Congress? (the fact that the members of Congress are also liars and hypocrites is irrelevant). Just like the IRS saying that they did not target any groups. Or the State Department covering up its employees (and Ambassador's) use of prostitutes.

This US administration has simply lost all credibility with me.

5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,675   +59

What surprises me is that people are surprised by this. Everyone mindlessly supported the patriot act in a fear ridden fever. Its all legal.

Mil

Its to appease their public who feel their government is somehow weaker because USA is spying on everyone.

6. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Perhaps in the state of fear, many people didn't realize the implications of what was being suggested. Now the smoke has cleared and the scope of the act is revealed to be even more frightening.

7. jonelsorel

jonelsorel TS Rookie Posts: 72

I believe, dear editors, that we have forgotten the meaning of the verb "to assure". How did they ASSURE us they weren't spying, again? By saying "we assure you we didn't" ?!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.