EverQuest goes free-to-play in celebration of 13th anniversary

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In celebration of the game’s 13th anniversary, EverQuest Producer Thom Terrazas announced that the game is switching to a free-to-play format in addition to unveiling several other perks that are sure to keep diehard fans playing for the foreseeable future.

There are now three tiered membership levels to choose from. For $15 per month, players can maintain up to eight characters with full access to all classes, races and items. A $5 monthly plan nets the majority of the aforementioned perks with some restrictions, however. The free membership will allow players to maintain up to two characters although with level caps and further restrictions on items and races.

The free tier is mostly designed to give those new to MMORPGs an opportunity to play without investing money in something they might not like. Furthermore, the game studio hopes to lure back former players for another round of action.

In addition to the new membership levels, there’s new content abound for both old and new players. Gamers can take part in Lucky 13 which is a set of 13 different quests to celebrate the game’s anniversary. The team also recently announced another new continent that will be finished within the next year.

MPOGD.com describes the title as the first 3D MMORPG game to hit the market when it launched in March 1999. EverQuest introduced the genre to many core components that are commonplace in today’s MMORPG titles and has stood the test of time like few have.

Permalink to story.

Ah my old wizard teleportation taxi service... used to be rolling in the platinum. Until one of the expansions made me irrelevant.

a bit too late im afraid, there are plenty of free servers without such restrictions if you know where to look.

Guest said:
When is WoW going P4F? tick...tock...

Not anytime soon, it is still profitable for Blizzard (excluding Asian market). I guess expansion after MOP we will see larger decline in WoW subs and it will go F2P within next 5 years. Id really talk about in more detail but its rather irrelevant, its just a game ^^

Free accounts are free, it is only a one time fee of $5 to play on a silver account, gold accounts are $14.99 unless you pay for more in advance, recurring gold membership accounts get 500 station cash per month as long as you are recurring.

also wizard and druid ports are not outdated as some of the zones are easier to get to with a port to this day.

i'm sorry only the gold memberships are per month pay.

old players returning automatically go to a silver account, you still have your characters but won't be able to make more without either buying the unlocks or going to a gold account.

you get what you pay for.

I got a mail saying "we went F2P, your account is now Silver". I thought "cool", because it was only a trial account, but turned out the mail was in error.

Not that I really want to play that. I enjoy EQ2 enough (spent $25 on it so far since it went free to play) so if I ever go back to gaming I'll go that way.

Back