Everykey is the wristband that replaces your passwords and controlled-access keys

Shawn Knight

Staff member

everykey kickstarter encryption passwords password manager keys wristband wearable wearable password

Wearable technology is slowly but surely becoming more capable. While early devices weren’t able to do much more than display notifications from a connected smartphone, the current crop of personal gadgets can perform tasks like monitoring your health and even connect to the Internet without piggybacking your phone’s connection.

The latest wearable to hit Kickstarter adds a bit more functionality to the wearables industry. Everykey is a wearable wristband designed to replace your keys and passwords with a single device.

everykey kickstarter encryption passwords password manager keys wristband wearable wearable password

The result of more than two years of work, Everykey uses “military-grade encryption” and low-power Bluetooth technology to grant the wearer access to all sorts of things that would normally require a passcode. For example, it can unlock your smartphone (similar to Motorola’s Skip smartphone accessory), unlock your password-protected notebook and even grant access to doors, car doors, bike locks and other controlled-access devices.

Its creators say it can unlock an unlimited number of devices with the user being able to customize the range in which it works. What’s more, the band is water resistant and only needs to be charged about once a month.

Much like a credit card, it can be disabled remotely in the event it gets lost or stolen. The company promises to overnight you a new wristband at a discount in such scenarios.

Everykey has already raised nearly $55,000 of its $100,000 funding goal as of writing thanks to support from over 800 backers. The $35 early bird special has already been spoken for so you’ll need to shell out $50 to get your name on the list for an Everykey in the color of your choice.

Everykey is expected to ship to early backers in March of 2015.

Permalink to story.

I like the idea but I can do without wearing any cheap, funky looking bangles, in fact I don't wear any kind of jewelry apart from a plain wedding band and a proper watch when I dress up so this is not gonna do for me.

If they made something ruberized for a keychain I would buy one.

That "funky" looking wristband looks cheap and fragile.

If they made something ruberized for a keychain I would buy one.

That "funky" looking wristband looks cheap and fragile.
I agree with you there. I think their idea is great and I would buy into it if came as a key fob and not some crappy hippie looking bangle.

This is very nice, is someone steal your bracelet he has full access to everything you own. I wonder how they can disable the device remotely? Sim card?

Also your kid can get your bracelet while you sleep and buy stuff online with your phone or computer.

PASSWORD is suppose to be secret and known only by you, dont confuse this device with 2 factors authetication. If you dont want security just dont use a password and dont whine when someone steal your stuff.

Also your kid can get your bracelet while you sleep and buy stuff online with your phone or computer.

What difference does this have with your kid taking your credit card while you sleep? (The answer is none btw, so you actually have to take care of it as you do with anything else in your life, also if your kid steals from you that's terrible parenting).

With all the hacking going on? Worst possible timing for this. With the Russian, suspected Chinese and all of that stuff.

Back