eVGA 9600 GT keeps crashing

By megat0on
Jan 27, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i biult a new machine and my video keeps crashing , sometimes right away and sometimes after 5-10 minutes. and not the BSOD either its like i disconected my monitor completely form my card. ive already downloaded all the updated drivers for everything and it still crashes
    im going nucking futs, hope i dont have to resort to going to the geek squad

specs:
    PSU ultra xpro 600w +12v/ 36amp/ 432w
    processor Q6600 core2 quad
    MB XFX nForce 680i LT SLI
    OS Vista Ultimate 64
    RAM 4GB corsair
    video card Evga 9600GT
  2. nosebleedXD

nosebleedXD Newcomer, in training Posts: 256

try a diff vid card
  3. megat0on

megat0on Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks for the wonderful insight!
    i was hoping for some tech info but you just come back as captian obvious, thx for nothing
  4. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

Look, if the GPU is defective, all Geek Squad would do is replace it, and you can do that for cheaper. That is why nosebleedXD said try a different video card. It's not like we are going to tell you some miraculous fix you can do to fix a (most likely) defective card. I know you're probably annoyed by your problem, but refraining from being an *** can make everyone lives much, much easier.
  5. nosebleedXD

thanks mopar man

so anyways...

it could not be just your vid card issue [you never know]

find a spare one or borrow a friends and see if that is the issue and see if the video display crashes still

if it doesn't then its your video card, evga offers a life time warranty i believe and if you registered your product within 30 days, your good to go, if not ....

so as i was saying, if the card does crash on you once more, then its possibly some other issue with your comp, possibly mobo or w.e
  6. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,109   +21

Is you video card's fan working properly? It could be a heat issue and heat will shut down a system quickly.
  7. nosebleedXD

by video crashing, is it your display crashing
  8. megat0on

no its not a heat issue it will crash right after start up if i load and start up certin games, oh and yes all my fans are working
  9. megat0on

sorry for the shortnes nosebleed but its so frustrating , everyone is telling me it could be something differant PSU, card, MOBO, RAM ... and i dont have any way of switching anything out to check if it works in another system or vice versa
  10. nosebleedXD

so is your whole system shutting down or what? i don't understand sorry lol
  11. Dr. Vader

Dr. Vader Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

Does the computer continue to run after the monitor goes black again, or does it shut off completely as well? Does everything continue working after the monitor shuts off (i.e. fans, any LED lights, etc)?
  12. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,257   +110

I think this may be an issue with the new round of NVidia divers, lately ive seen a couple 9600gt crash threads, even my own has BSODed if i use the GPU folding at home and try to display work...

Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 during boot up, and install your favorite cleaner (CCcleaner, DriverCleaner...) and completly remove the NVidia drivers.

Reboot and install the previouse version, may help, assuming this really is a driver issue.
  13. megat0on

yes vader everything still runs, just not my video its like there is no connection between the monitor and the tower

14. Dr. Vader

Did it do this before you updated the drivers? If not, try rolling back your drivers. When the monitor shuts off immediately is this before or after POST?

Edit: It could be a bad DVI/VGA adapter, do you have any others you could try using?
  15. megat0on

its after post , sometimes i can run a game for a few minutes-a few hours buut as soon as i try to load wow it clips out after like 2 minutes of play EVERY SINGLE TIME so on that none, where is marry poppins when ya need her? LMAO

it did this before i updated the drives too

and i may have another DVI/VGA converter
  16. nosebleedXD

prolly video card, have you registered your evga card?
  17. megat0on

yes i did but thing is i just did it last week and ive had the card bout a year, i thought id registered it then but apperantly not =(
  18. megat0on

im thinking its my PSU its only rated 432w at the 12v setting and not 600w like i thought it was thats just the total of accumulated watts
  19. Dr. Vader

No, that power supply should be fine for that graphics card. I'm putting my money on either a defective video card or a bad motherboard. It really could be either. That's why it kind of sucks that you don't have another one to test it with.
  20. megat0on

damn , and there is no way of finding out either is there?
  21. Dr. Vader

I don't think so, other than testing another video card, or motherboard.

Have you tried resetting CMOS? I know that may seem like a long shot, but it can work miracles.
  22. megat0on

no i hevent not yet, was a last resort lol
  23. Dr. Vader

I would try that then.

Here are the steps to complete this.

24. nosebleedXD

LOl still haven't fixed, btw, if you can't get someones elses video card or w.e maybe you could try it on someone elses computer and see if the same problem occurs, if so, its the video card problem
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.