TechSpot

EVGA intros the Hybrid GTX 275 Co-op PhysX graphics card

By Matthew
Nov 3, 2009
  1. EVGA has announced a new dual-GPU video card, aptly named the Hybrid GTX 275 Co-op PhysX. The card houses both Nvidia GTX 275 and GTS 250 chips, which are linked together in some form of Hybrid SLI configuration. The GTX 275 is responsible for rendering graphics, while the GTS 250 tackles all of the PhysX calculations -- an interesting offer, even if Fermi is just around the corner.

Read the whole story

2. swilllx2p

swilllx2p TS Rookie Posts: 133

If the price drops to the $200-$299 range i'd probably get this(wife won't allow me to spend over 300 for a card as i've been looking for one). Of course...i'd really love to see some benchmarking of this card..hint hint :)

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,358   +403

Great idea, but doesn't come with DirectX 11 support. If I was buying a card today, I wouldn't consider any that didn't have DirectX 11 capabilities.

4. buttus

buttus TS Enthusiast Posts: 187

I would agree with TomSEA. DX11 looks amazing and I wouldn't invest any money in a non-DX11 card. Personally I am waiting on an AMD 5850X2 to come out to replace my 3870 card.

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 882   +131

Yeah it's hard for me to formulate an opinion of this thing without seeing some performance tests and how it compares to other cards.

6. PUTALE

PUTALE TS Rookie Posts: 178

mmh, it's a bit useless in my opinion but it looks to me that nvidia is trying to promote phsyx. the power consuption is a bit too high in my mind.

7. JieMan

JieMan TS Rookie Posts: 65

The need for this isn't really needed much at the moment I feel its just a marketing ploy from EVGA, As NVIDIA is prepping for DX11 EVGA should have waited till then.
    I can see if you only have the combination of one PCI E x16 slot ( which is probably the majority of people) and a low PSU.
    I like the idea of this and think that it will allow for some good things to come, as NVIDIA is pushing for GPGPU this might work well as a program accelerator too.
    The new NVIDIA beta drivers have already adopted OpenCl so who knows whats gonna happen.

8. pioneerx01

pioneerx01 TS Maniac Posts: 348

So, I I get 2 or 3 of them in SLI will the Phys-X be in SLI too?

9. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

I saw this yesterday on EVGA's website, and I have to say it's a bit of a questionable move on EVGA's part. It's catering to the high-end segment, but lacking any DirectX 11 support, and with the GF100 apparently arriving in December, I don't see much demand for this card. It IS a pretty sweet idea though!

10. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 686   +47

No DX 11 support kinda kills it for me, tho i bet the card is extremely powerful. What's the point of the joker picture if once it is in your pc you won't ever see it anyway lol

11. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

Sounds like a risky technological venture. Now we're heading in a direction where you need a video card AND a physx card (or a hybrid card in this case)? Why don't we start chopping up the motherboard into further sub components and allow the enthusiast even more computer hardware customising?

12. I'd like to get one of them.. is it abaliavle? .. if so, where?

13. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

seems kinda a waste of a card but is kinda a cool idea

14. MBK

MBK TS Rookie Posts: 43

This looks like a nice way around computers getting even bigger. Assuming that the thing doesn't consume two PCI-E slots (which it looks like it might), it removes the need for an additional physics card, which is gonna be a necessity in the near future.

The price seems reasonable enough for a release, a lot of relally high end cards are of a similar price range on release. Though, I never buy the things at that price (that's a lie, I did once, saved up a lot of pocket money)

15. Shalimar

Shalimar TS Rookie Posts: 41

Interesting idea but pointless nice other available cards will be considerably faster for the same or less $.. EVGA marking = FAIL

16. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

Are the days of high-end cards being north of the $500 dollar mark gone? I welcome our $300 cards, but what I miss the most is the performance that we used to get with a new card. I'd love for someone to correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no cards out today or tomorrow which can offer 3 digit FPS in Crysis yet, (1680x1050 high quality) right? And it's been that way since Crysis came out 2 years ago. (Pretty lame of the GPU boffins.)

17. Deso

Deso TS Rookie Posts: 130

Awesome to see some new idea's in the graphics market, I always wondered why they couldn't build PhysX into the card instead of having a separate card doing it. Good jon nvidia!, I also hope they will release 300 series co-op cards with PhysX in time with the fermi

18. lynxon

lynxon TS Rookie Posts: 30

I don't think anyone would even consider buying this, I mean it's cool and all and a good idea, but now we need cards to support DX11. The tessellation in it looks utterly amazing.

19. I would totally bye this if the price dropped to like $250 the very least

20. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 984   +31

Seems to me there's an error in the specs posted. The 275 will run at 633MHz, while the 250 will run at 738MHz. This is in line with the standard clock speed of these chips.

I wonder how much north of $300 this will cost, though frankly I think it will not be worth buying unless its price premium over a normal 275 is very small. I think that anyone buying it will be really sorry later that they didn't wait for Fermi or bought an ATI.

21. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,077   +84 Staff Member

@ET3D: Thanks for pointing that out, I simply posted them backward (275@738MHz and 250@633MHz), which is indeed wrong. I've corrected that in the post.

Also, I've added a preorder link and the card's MSRP ($350).

22. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,082   +103

It's nvidia's way to let us know that they're still alive.
    In my opinion an 250 is too much for just physx, an 220 could do the job just fine and the card would cost less and would have been more energy efficient.
    Just as others said, i'm going to buy an dx11 card. i'm waiting for the prices for dx11 cards to drop a bit though.

23. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I agree that the GTS 250 is just overkill for a Physx card, I thought Nvidia were promoting Physx on the basis that you could use a really old card to run it, with a newer and more powerful card doing the normal graphics processing.

24. psycholexx

psycholexx TS Rookie Posts: 24

I personally don't think that there are so many games, so intensive on the Physx part that, the price difference from a standard GTX 275 is justified. We will get, more heat, more consumption, a bigger price, for a marginal performance advantage on a few games.... Until i see some benchmarks that are showing me otherwise, i will see this product as a failed experiment.

25. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

That's not a bad price considering it has two cards in one. It would be interesting to see what level of card is needed for the PhysX portion. Maybe they're using the GTS 250 for future performance, I would imagine Nvidia did testing with different levels of hardware before deciding to go this route.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.