Evidence supporting 4-inch iPhone with 9-pin dock found in iOS 6

By Rick
Aug 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. After following a tip from one of their industry insiders, 9toMac has confirmed that iOS 6 adjusts to five rows (instead of four) on devices equipped with displays which are exactly 640x1136. Developers had to modify the Apple's iOS simulator……

Read more
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

While Jobs was alive he reportedly, or actually, was against both a large factor iPhone and a small factor iPad, and now apparently both are going to be produced.
  3. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161   +11

Is it just me, or do all the iPhone 5 images with the 4" screen look funny? I'm not an Apple hater (and I'm waiting to see the final iPhone 5 before upgrading my Bionic) but it looks like they just took an iPhone 4S and stretched it vertically. I'm assuming these are renderings, not actual shots of the device?
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

of course they are made, more or less.
  5. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Well that's what they would do. If you think it looks funny I assume you think almost every Android phone looks pretty funny too since they're mostly 16:9 now. 1136x640 would be an aspect ratio of 1.775 which is very very close to 16:9 which is 1.77777778. So when viewing 16:9 content they would have to leave one line of pixels black, something that would likely not be noticed.

Alternatively it might just be the renders aren't done to reflect what the screen's aspect ratio actually should be so they look longer and skinnier than it will in real life.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Jobs wasn't around to see two things though... how puny and insignificant an iphone looks next to a Galaxy S III and how well the Fire/Nook/and probably nexus 7 inch tablets will sell at $200.

The iPad is the Cadillac of tablets, but far more people buy Chevy Malibu's and Impalas.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Perhaps not against it by the end of his life though, based on internal emails exposed during the Apple/Samsung lawsuit:
    Then there is this article:
    Which shows that when Jobs indicated the current 7" market was no good, it was really small screen real estate. But, a smaller iPad (close to 8") has ~40% more screen space. So.. make of that what you will.