Experiencing occasional packet loss via one pc but not on another

Since a few months I experience occasional packet loss on one pc using an ethernet cable. The wifi and other pcs (using other ethernet cables) don't have the same issue (My problem pc can't use wifi so I cannot verify if this would work on it) .

What I already tried:

Change the router
Change the ethernet cable
Use a rj45 to usb adapter
Reset the router

I am running out of ideas what to try. The problems generally occurs for a few seconds and can sometimes result in the network not working unless I unplug the ethernet and plug it in again (no clue if this is relevant info). I consider replacing my motherboard but thought I would write a post prior doing so.

Thanks for your help!

One thing you can try is to change the power option for the device. Go to the Device Manager and double click on your Ethernet adapter. Click on the Power Management Tab and clear the box in front of "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power", than click okay and do a restart. I have seen this be a problem in the past.

I will try that out thanks! Its just hard to really trouble shoot bc the problem is happening really irregularly.

What kind of router/modem combination do you have? What kind of PC is the affected PC and what is the os and what kind of Ethernet card does it have? Could use some more info.

It sounds like that it's probably an os problem in the affected PC. PC's usually have a lom or lan on motherboard which usually gives good service without failing too often. That's true for both towers and laptops, but you didn't specify. Both towers and laptops can use an adapter as well if the onboard device fails, and you did say you tried a rj45 to USB adapter.

It sounds like that it's probably an os problem in the affected PC. PC's usually have a lom or lan on motherboard which usually gives good service without failing too often. That's true for both towers and laptops, but you didn't specify. Both towers and laptops can use an adapter as well if the onboard device fails, and you did say you tried a rj45 to USB adapter. Once again more info would be great.

Back