TechSpot

Explorer.exe RAM problems

By ramonsterns
Sep 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys,

Basically, I've been having RAM Problems.

I have 12gb of RAM and two days ago all of it was being used up for no reason. Nothing registered under processes or resource monitor, I had no clue why all 12gb of my RAM was being used.

After some fiddling, I recreated the issue.

I recently bought an external hard drive and put all my movies, pictures, and music into it to free up HDD space. When I opened the movie folder, my RAM usage would steadily increase and the Physical Memory Usage History would look like a staircase until it reached the top. I've managed to stop this from happening by using the option to never show thumbnails, but this is a work around, not a fix.

How do I know it's explorer.exe causing me this problem? Because I ended it as a process and my RAM automatically stopped climbing and went back down to normal levels. I then ran it again from Task Manager and it didn't give me problems until I opened that folder again.

Any clues as to why it's doing this? Any help appreciated.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit
  2. Safez

Safez TS Rookie

Unbelievable... I have the same issues (will post a new thread) running windows XP SP3 32bit.
  3. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 752   +12

It seems to be nearly any folder I have several videos in that triggers it. My hard drive also starts making sounds like it's working heavily, then stops as soon as I end explorer.exe process.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.