TechSpot

Explorer.exe won't start unless do it manual in task manager

By kienduc
Oct 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just used a small piece of software from Adobe to clean up the left over part of Adobe Photoshop CS3 trial version to go for a official one. I install successfully and restart my PC but Explorer won't start until I open a new task manually in Task Manager. I don't why, I think that I might damage the Registry while try to clean up the left behind part of PS CS3. Does anybody have some idea for this kinda situation?
    Here is my HJT log file
    Thanks for you time!!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Check the Shell value for Winlogon in your registry. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    should show:

Shell REG_SZ explorer.exe

Or download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
    This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

Note: I have not looked at the log
  3. kienduc

kienduc TS Rookie Topic Starter

I fixed the explorer thing already thank to you help but there is one more issue. I don't know why vista keep updating this "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)" Even I installed it the next time I start my computer it keep asking me for install this update. Beside that everything seems to be fine.
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

5. kienduc

kienduc TS Rookie Topic Starter

Re:

I just fix this "F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe" by checked it and hit "Fix Checked" button at the left button of HJT window and it work. I don't have to manually open Explorer.exe anymore.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.