External hard drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm Boils aka David Brown. I live in NYC and am an art dealer and am producing DVD's on historic Cities Venice and --about to release NYC. See museumplanet.com for more.

I also have a problem. My gateway 2500 mghertz 1 gig ram won't econgnize my second hard drive if I use a usb external drive for backup I have to uninstall it under device manager to get it recognized. Second when the computer boot and IT IS going to recondnize the second drive (Western Dig IDE) I get an erro message that says "trouble with hard drive consult owner's manual) I hit any key and the computer boots up properly. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi there,

By the sounds of things that hard drive might be looking at the boot sequence, try changing the boot sequence in the bios.......

The drive might also have some jumpers switches to change from Master drive to Slave drive.... It should be acting a a "slave"

Hope this helps some what.......

Bios sequence

how do I cnage the bios sequences know how to get to bios throus msconfig but that'a l i know.i

Well the way i would do is on boot up press del key and you will open a blue screen. This screen has an tab called boot or something like that, this should have the drive there that you could select.

If that doesn't work, then there is something you can try in administrative tools within windows.

What drive letter does the slave harddrive have?

What drive letter does the USB drive have?

You may have a drive letter conflict, this can easily be changed in disk management.

The drive letters are typically managmened by windows.

Default to C: and any new drives would fall after your CD rom drives........

Don't think i understand the problem 100%

hard drive recognition problem elp

The two hard drives are C & D. When it starts and works correctly I get an error message 'trouble with hard drive consulter computer manual' when i click through it windows boots up and starts correctly with the D drive being recognized.

Trouble begins when I have any usb devices plugged in. Then the D drive is not recognized or it is recognized as an external drive and it can not be opened. To correct this I have go uninstall all usb drives to get computer to recognized D drive. Sometimes I have to do this twice.

Thd D drives works fine in toher computers and is recognized properly.

HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back