TechSpot

External SONY DVD writer cannot burn CD-R, but burns CD-RW

By batcher1
Nov 13, 2007
  1. I have a External DVD writer - SONYDVD RW DRU-820A plugged into USB.Bought 1 year before. So far no problem at all. Just 1 week before i got a problem.
    My problem is when i burning whatever files such as video,audio,data's into CD-R disc, the software[nero 6] hangs up and not responding to burn into CD-R disc and also not burning DVD blank disc. If i burn those files in CD-RW blank disc, it burns, no problem at all.

The problem that i face was why my DVD writer is not burning into CD-R and DVD, and burns only in CD-RW disc.
    Isn't any software driver and windows system files problem that doesn't burn in CD-R and DVD's.
    Just 1 week only this kind of problem comes in my DVD writer.

My PC configuration is :
    Intel 865 GBF motherboard,
    512 MB RAM,
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2

Pleae help me to solve this problem,
    Thanking you sincerely,

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

You could try and update the burners firmware. After doing that, all you can do is replace the burner

3. batcher1

batcher1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Please help me

I didn't updated the burners firmware.

But I have tried re-installed the nero software and also tried in another burning software in Roxio Easy CD creator, the same problem comes by not burning in CD-R and DVD hanging the software , but burning in CD-RW.

Why is this...

Please help me to give me another solution..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.